Handheld GPS Unit

Team Skycop

I just got started as well with a Garmin eTrex Venture HC that I got from Amazon for $117. They have free shipping, but I was in a hurry and paid an extra 20 bucks to get it here over night. Just found my first cache with it on Thursday and so far I really like it.

I agree with the Venture HC. Good all around unit. You can load topo maps on it for when you're away from the car.

Caching without topo maps is fine. IMO, I'd only really consider topo maps indispensable on extended hikes and in more remote backcountry areas. For your typical cache -- parking at the state park or nature preserve and hiking on already well-blazed trails, you're just fine without them.

You can pick up the older Topo maps on eBay for a more reasonable price. It is nice to have some maps on the GPS unit, although they are not necessary. If you get the older maps, you need to download the Mapsource update and Patch from the Garmin site.