Travel Bug - To Move or Not?

HeronAK

In my very first cache find there was a travel bug that wanted to visit NHL stadiums around the country. As I could not advance that goal, I left it in the cache.

Question: If I can't help a travel bug achieve it's goal, should I leave it alone or can I move it to another cache?

Thanks all!

In my very first cache find there was a travel bug that wanted to visit NHL stadiums around the country. As I could not advance that goal, I left it in the cache.

Question: If I can't help a travel bug achieve it's goal, should I leave it alone or can I move it to another cache?

Thanks all!

Move it. You never know whether someone who can help the goal might find the TB where it is, or where you move it. I would not move it completely opposite to the goal, but other than that I would move it along.

Thanks all!

Pick up and move every travel bug that you see. Passing up a travel bug that you see in a cache increases the probability that the travel bug will become lost, because the cache may become muggled before the next geocacher finds it, or the next person who finds the cache may be someone who doesn't understand geocaching well, and takes the travel bug without logging it or moving it.

If you are a responsible geocacher, please pick up and move every travel bug that you see. Travel bug movements should be random and unpredictable, not necessarily in the shortest route to their goals. Please don't let travel bugs languish in caches. Have fun, pick up and log the travel bug, then drop it in another cache, even if that cache is a short distance away.

If you are a responsible geocacher, please pick up and move every travel bug that you see. Travel bug movements should be random and unpredictable, not necessarily in the shortest route to their goals. Please don't let travel bugs languish in caches. Have fun, pick up and log the travel bug, then drop it in another cache, even if that cache is a short distance away.

I respectfully disagree.

If a bug's been moving pretty well, and is in a high or medium traffic cache, then I don't move it if I can't help it along. Odds are someone will come along soon who can help it achieve its goal. I'm speaking from personal experience here -- one of my bugs, close to its destination, and in a cache that's visited frequently, was moved to an out of the way cache that's visited only a few times a year, and is now several hundred miles away.

But if a bug's in a cache that's rarely visited, then yes, move it. Free it from what could become a prison. The owner would probably rather have it moving than sitting in one place for months at a time.

YMMV.

[Pick up and move every travel bug that you see. Passing up a travel bug that you see in a cache increases the probability that the travel bug will become lost, because the cache may become muggled before the next geocacher finds it, or the next person who finds the cache may be someone who doesn't understand geocaching well, and takes the travel bug without logging it or moving it.

Being new to this last year, I've seen lots of travel bugs, but I never picked them up before, unsure of how to handle them. I found a travel jeep in an out of the way place yesterday, and decided it was time to take it. I've now logged that and will pass it on at the next available opportunity. It does not seem to have a destination, but is just traveling so any move would be great. I've also discovered I can track the movements of this jeep now too, so that will be interesting.

I'll take your advise though, and move things when I find them in the future. Thanks for the guidance.

Being new to this last year, I've seen lots of travel bugs, but I never picked them up before, unsure of how to handle them. I found a travel jeep in an out of the way place yesterday, and decided it was time to take it. I've now logged that and will pass it on at the next available opportunity. It does not seem to have a destination, but is just traveling so any move would be great. I've also discovered I can track the movements of this jeep now too, so that will be interesting.

I'll take your advise though, and move things when I find them in the future. Thanks for the guidance.

Welcome to the Forum :unsure:

At the top of this Forum is a really useful pinned topic called "How to Log a Travel Bug or Geocoin". It's very useful reading for anyone who isn't sure what to do with trackables.

Enjoy watching your first jeep's travels - I'm sure you'll soon have a few other interesting travellers on your Watchlist too.

MrsB :ph34r:

If a TB is in the middle of nowhere, definitely move it. They want to be moved around and not stuck isolated.

If a TB doesn't have a mission written on it, and I know I'm going to be caching again soon I'll usually take it. I figure I can move it around for fun, especially if I'm going on a big trip. The website usually isn't very accurate so I don't bother checking online ahead of time to see if it's one I want.

If a TB has a mission clearly written, I'll definitely take it if I can help it along. If I can't help it, I usually just leave it.

Everyone has their own set of guidelines. Some people are picky and serious about rules. Some people geocache for fun and go with the flow... most are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. So you ask different people you'll get a different answer. Whatever approach works for you as long as you're not hurting or infringing on someone else's joy of the game.

The website usually isn't very accurate so I don't bother checking online ahead of time to see if it's one I want.

I've never had a problem knowing the mission of a bug when looking at the bug page.

Everyone has their own set of guidelines. Some people are picky and serious about rules. Some people geocache for fun and go with the flow... most are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. So you ask different people you'll get a different answer. Whatever approach works for you as long as you're not hurting or infringing on someone else's joy of the game.

Use the Discover option when you don't think you can assist the bug. :huh: