Magellan na basemap

cchard

When I power it up, it reports UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO BASEMAP. What can I do?

You'll have to restore the basemap as described in Q: 6.

How do I restore a basemap?

Basemaps can be downloaded from here: http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/

These downloads are in .rar compressed format. If you need a free decompressor, one can be obtained here: http://www.winace.com/xaceplus.html.

Decompress the file. Rename attached file to "BASEMAP.MGI" then copy it to the Explorist internal memory Background maps folder.

Finally, BASEMAP.MGI must have the system attribute set before the Explorist will recognize the file. Use the DOS command "attrib s+ BASEMAP.MGI", executed from the folder containing BASEMAP.MGI or providing the appropriate path.

You go to downloads of that link listed. However it seems they are doing some work on the site. Check back later and get your basemap.

Edited by storm180

There seems to be a little confusion for some of what happened lets see if I can clarify ;)

I have an exploist 210 it wasn’t seeing the waas satellites so I decided to do an update as we know all that is available is the one for the European version, well I forgot to save my basemap and the outcome was a European 210 …. So storm180 (THANKS) had a basemap for a 500

I downloaded it from his link http://www.megaupload.com/it/?d=EJTNQH03

Change the name of the file to BASEMAP.MGI

Then copy it to the Explorist internal memory Background maps folder

The computer asks if you want to overwrite the file that is already there click yes

When finished uploading not sure maybe I got lucky but all went well and it works

Again thanks to all that helped in my time of need :D

I think I was the one who was unclear. Here is the issue I'm having.

I uploaded a map region to the unit (eXplorist 210) and got an IO error.

Powered down the unit.

Powered up the unit.

The screen was suck with the message "CHECKING MEDIA STATE..."

After letting it sit for a long time when I power it up I get the normal start screen for a second. Then it goes to a message screen "UNIT CURRENTLY CONTAINS NO MAP! INITIATING MAP UPLOAD"

I can't get the firmware updater to find the unit nor will windows mount the unit's memory.

Did you have a similar problem? (not being able to mount the memory that is)

Sad to say, basemaps are no longer available for download from that site. I'll check to see if I have the 210 basemap; I think I've only got the 4/5/600.

That's because Magellan considers basemaps to be propriatary information, something that they will not give away. They actively shut down sites that post copies of basemaps. If a unit was still under warranty they would 'upload' a replacement if you send your unit to them. But they don't care about their customers. They will not make it easy for people to WANT to keep their Magellans. Most of their products are now legacy products and are not supported anymore. Magellan has been sold to a foreign company, I don't know what they are thinking.

A GPS without a basemap is like the dark ages of GPS's like the Garmin GPS12...

When it comes to basemaps, there are some that are around 2Megs, and some that are around 14Megs, for the Meridian series. I think that they are compatable with the Explorists, but the extension has been changes from .img to .mgi. Be sure that you use a basemap of a size that your GPS expects to see, I don't know what happens if you try to load a wrong one.

One could always BUY the Magellan MapSend WorldWide Basemap but one shouldn't have to, that product is not the same as what's on a GPS. I can't remember if it's more or less detailed. Check the Yahoo Magellan_Meridian userrgroup for comparisons.

A GPS without a basemap is like the dark ages of GPS's like the Garmin GPS12...

...and worse, an Explorist without a basemap is like a paperweight (ok, a paperweight that tells you every time you turn it on that it doesn't have a basemap). ;)