TB grabbed before I could log it.

Texas Bandits

I took several TB's with me to drop off while on a cruise with the intention of logging them once I got back home. Well, someone retrieved one of the TB's from the cache I dropped it at before I logged it as there. They then "grabbed" it from me and logged it as dropped in a new cache. So now the TB's map doesn't show it as being in the cache I dropped it at. And the mileage is also incorrect. I looked throught the post on the top of this page but didn't see anything that pertained to something like this. Is there any way to show the TB as being in the cache that I dropped it in? Is this something only the owner can do? Or can I work with the person who "grabbed' it and get this fixed? And will I need the # that is on the TB"s tag now to log any info?

Thanks.

No problem....

It's not that important in the scheme of things.

What you can do.... email the person who grabbed and dropped it in the cache and ask him to drop it in the other cache too...he can backdate it. However, that is work for him so he may say no.

I wouldn't do anything. The miles don't get ya much. I'd be happy to see the tb show up in any cache.

Suggestion for next time. Write down the tag number right when you drop it off.

or

what I do...I pre-drop it off in the cache (if I know where I'm leaving it).

No problem....

It's not that important in the scheme of things.

What you can do.... email the person who grabbed and dropped it in the cache and ask him to drop it in the other cache too...he can backdate it. However, that is work for him so he may say no.

I wouldn't do anything. The miles don't get ya much. I'd be happy to see the tb show up in any cache.

Suggestion for next time. Write down the tag number right when you drop it off.

or

what I do...I pre-drop it off in the cache (if I know where I'm leaving it).

Thanks for the reply.

I've emailed the owner to see if they want to worry about it or not. The TB went from Texas to Cozumel to Maryland, so I didn't know if they minded the loss of mileage from the missing Cozumel drop.

I took several TB's with me to drop off while on a cruise with the intention of logging them once I got back home. Well, someone retrieved one of the TB's from the cache I dropped it at before I logged it as there. They then "grabbed" it from me and logged it as dropped in a new cache. So now the TB's map doesn't show it as being in the cache I dropped it at. And the mileage is also incorrect. I looked throught the post on the top of this page but didn't see anything that pertained to something like this. Is there any way to show the TB as being in the cache that I dropped it in? Is this something only the owner can do? Or can I work with the person who "grabbed' it and get this fixed? And will I need the # that is on the TB"s tag now to log any info?

Thanks.

This happened to me once.

Grab it back from the cache where it is listed, and then drop it into the cache where you first put it (back dating the drop). Send a message to the person who grabbed it, asking him/her to now retrieve it from that first cache and then drop it into the second cache (he/she can delete the duplicate logs). If you cannot contact that person, you can retrieve it yourself, and then drop it in the second cache yourself, and then delete your logs.

EDIT: Of course, to do this, you will need the TB tracking number. If you don't have that, you might have to get it from the TB owner.

Edited by UncleJimbo

For next time: if you drop off a TB knowing you will not be able to log it for a day or more, include a note asking the next finder to please give you a few days before logging his/her pick up.

And definitely always write down the TB tag #.

For next time: if you drop off a TB knowing you will not be able to log it for a day or more, include a note asking the next finder to please give you a few days before logging his/her pick up.

Recently I got a BlackBerry to replace my cell phone, and I love it for geocaching. I can access geocaching.com while outdoors and log my cache findings right from the cache. If I am in a location where I haven't uploaded the caches to my GPS, I can use my BlackBerry to find the nearest caches with the full descriptions that one can read on geocaching.com.

Therefore, if you geocache a lot, I highly recommend getting a BlackBerry or some other wireless cell phone system that will allow you to access geocaching.com while traveling or outdoors. This will enable you to log a travel bug into a cache at the same time you place the travel bug in the cache.

(Note: It may be difficult to access the Internet on your BlackBerry in very rural areas, or outside the USA).

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Edited by Highpointer

If the person who grabbed the travelbug was paying attention, they would have noticed that the travelbug was still in your possession (online).

When this happens to me, I usually wait a week or so (or watch it), and then recheck the travelbug to see if the person remembered to drop it off yet.

When I attend events with travelbugs, I always PRE-drop them all into the event. If for some reason I decide to NOT leave the travelbug at the event, I can just log it back out. This seems ok, because the travelbug DID attend the event.