Geocoin discussion

oldlimeys

We own a geocoin whose object is to visit all seven continents. We have asked that a photograph of the coin be posted for each location along with GPS co-ordinates. We started its journey in Antarctica but did not leave the coin there thinking that it may take too long for it to be found and moved on. Our son took it from us and photographed it with co-ordinates in MA before placing it in a cache in Scotland (Europe, the fourth continent so far). The coin is now travelling from cache to cache but we do not have a mileage count for it. Can anyone tell us how we can track the cumulative mileage fom the start?

Oldlimeys.

I am not sure I know what your question is but I will take a stab at it. Are you saying that the coin has mileage on it but it's not accurate because you actually physically took it to Antartica but didn't put it in a cache?

Typically, people (myself included just recently once I figured it out) "dip" their coin in a cache to start it's journey. Then it starts accumulating mileage as soon as it leaves your house (or in this case Antartica).

As I see it (but some of the more experienced coiners may be able to provide other advice), the only way to adjust the mileage, is to delete the logs so far and re-drop and retrieve to more accurately reflect where it's been. However, if you didn't actually visit a cache with the coin in Antartica, I don't think you can drop/retrieve it there (I wouldn't)...but perhaps others can give their opinions on that.

Good luck!

ElTada is right. Since you did not dip your 2 Seasons of December coin in caches in either Antartica or Chile there is no mileage recorded nor will those continents appear in the coin's travel path. The system can only calculate mileage based on the locations of each given cache the geocoin is logged into and out of.

Although you have photos to show the coin did indeed find it's way to Antarctica and S. America it was not dipped in caches in those continents so the mileage on geocaching.com won't reflect that. You could tweak it and dip the coin in cache you in fact found while there. But it's very difficult, if not impossible, to correct a travel path after the fact. You may have to recreate it's entire travel history from scratch.

If credibility is not a concern you can move it across the continents from your study this evening. But if you want the logs to be believable it's best the coin is dipped by cachers who in fact were at the locations it is being dipped in and hopefully they were in possession of the coin too at the time. Be sure dates reflect that too. Otherwise it will read and come across as very hinkey.

You can dip coins in caches you've found without having to log a found it log again. By writing a note to the cache you can drop a coin with it and pick it up again from the coin's tracking page.