Silica Gel Sachets

I want to put some silica gel sachets in each of my caches to help keep the contents dry - but I don't know where to get them. Can you buy them in shops, and if so, which ones?

Lee

Probably a waste of time and money, SG is used in packaging to absorb moisture from the atmosphere rather than wet conditions, and only works at its best, at room temperature, from the moment you expose it to air it starts to absorb moisture so would be part way to holding its maximum content before you even put it in the container.

Some years ago when I did a packaging course at work, we were told that for the SG to work it had to be in a hermetically sealed container and the quantities used for consumer goods like cameras was far to small to have any useful effect even if the container was sealed properly.

So my advise would be to spend the money on a decent container and forget the silica gel.

I want to put some silica gel sachets in each of my caches to help keep the contents dry - but I don't know where to get them. Can you buy them in shops, and if so, which ones?

Lee

You can do the same thing with rice ...... but as the previous replies say, it only works to reduce damp - not to mop up water.

Drill a few small holes in the lid and base of a film pot, fill it with rice, pop the top back on and leave it in the cache - then wait for the logs that mention the odd rattly micro they found.......

Lee

You can do the same thing with rice ...... but as the previous replies say, it only works to reduce damp - not to mop up water.

Drill a few small holes in the lid and base of a film pot, fill it with rice, pop the top back on and leave it in the cache - then wait for the logs that mention the odd rattly micro they found.......

And the grump reviewer to mention

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

:angry:

I've got lots of these parcels at home because I know someone who works for a sports shop. I can send you some if you like. I did a trial on a cache container in my garden with a little bit od water in the container with about 4 SG parcels and found them to be ineffective even after 3 weeks.

TheWhoUK