Looking to buy cheap/entry level GPSr

I know that $50 won't buy me a cheap GPSr. But I will be getting a $50 gift card that I wasn't planning on getting. I was not planning on buying a GPSr at all (was borrowing a friend's from time to time). But, given the appearance ofa gift card, I might be able to swing up to $100 from other sources in order to make it happen...

So... What advice would you give? It looks like the ones in the running are:

Garmin eTrex H - $99.99

Magellan Triton 200 - $129.99

Garmin eTrex Venture HC - $149.99

Magellan Triton 300 - $149.99

Is there something else I should be considering? What are the pros/cons of those various models?

Thanks!

I am sorry. I am not really being fair especially since I have never owned one. They simply seem to have a really bad reputation, particularly for not standing by their product and having very poor customer service. I would suggest focussing on Garmin units, particularly any models with "H" in them because that is referring to the fact that they have a high sensitivity receiver. You should be able to find a map model for slightly less than $200.

The cons of the Magellans are that they are Magellans....LOL! :unsure:

Thanks... :ph34r: Trying to figure out how serious you are...

What makes a Magellan less desirable? Is it durability? accuracy? ease of use?

Magellans have dreadful customer service. A friend's Explorist stopped connecting to his computer and he could not get help for more than a year. Finally they sent him a Triton 400, which lasted for three hours before locking up. He sent that back and got another Triton 400. It is still working, but was very non-intuitive to use.

He is still using my trusty Garmin Vista C as a back-up unit.

Stick with Garmin and check out the Legend HCx as well. The online price for that is around $185-190. That has both the High Sensitivity receiver and the "expandable memory" for more maps and Custom POIs.

Best Buy lists that at $379.99.

Not an option, unfortunately! :unsure:

Thanks for the responses on Magellan.

Since I have experience using the Garmins, that's what I'll stick with..

So... that leaves it between the eTrex H (99.99) and the eTrex Legend HC ($149.99)

I see that the HC has a slightly larger color display... Are there other differences?

Thanks for the responses on Magellan.

Since I have experience using the Garmins, that's what I'll stick with..

So... that leaves it between the eTrex H (99.99) and the eTrex Legend HC ($149.99)

I see that the HC has a slightly larger color display... Are there other differences?

The H has a mono screen and is not a mapping unit. It also has an RS-232 serial interface. It's a real good unit, but you might be better off with the Venture HC as you will be able to load maps (you can get some for free on this forum) and it comes with a USB cable.

Stick with Garmin and check out the Legend HCx as well. The online price for that is around $185-190. That has both the High Sensitivity receiver and the "expandable memory" for more maps and Custom POIs.

Best Buy lists that at $379.99.

Not an option, unfortunately! :unsure:

Their online price is very wrong for that unit.

Edited by coggins