viewing all .gs files on navigation map

m2girle

using Magellen eXplorist 210.

Hopefully someone can help!! I've been caching for a while and entering cahces as POI because I found these are the only files that would be displayed on my map (withouth having to do Active setup or a GOTO for each one). I'm finally tired of doing it manually and have tried numerous solutions listed on this site. I'm not understanding the file layout either, maybe that the problem?? All I know is that now it's deifnitley USER error! :) Here's what I'm doing:

I download .qpx

I've used the mapsend manager to try to convert to .poi but if it's an option I can' t find it.

I downloaded mapsend lite v2 because someone said it can convert .qpx to .poi. I can't find that option. I can go from .gpx to .gs to .upt. When I save that to "My POI" on the gps unit I have to go up 1 level to see it. It doesn't get shown on the map like the other .poi i have saved in "default POI file" directory.

I have not tried GPSBabel and an hesitant to since it seems like I should be able to do it with what I have installed already.

To summarize what I'd like to happen: I want to download pocket queries, using those .gpx files to load (either POI or GS) files to my unit with the usb cable, not manually. I'd like to see those files on my map so I can see if i'm near any caches. This is my "dream" and from what I read it sounds like it's doable!

Oh yeah, I've done the active setup and for geocache it says it's empty (even when I've loaded .gs files into the the directory). Once again maybe I'm not saving it to the correct directory? I do notice that under active setup for POI it says "Default POI file". Now any .poi files I save there show up on the map. I don't see a "Default GS file". I tried creating it but no luck.

I'm headed on vacation Friday morning and would love to upload some caches for each place I'm going. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

If the file you want (.gs) is on the unit, you just need to make it "active" for it to show on the map.

menu -> preferences -> active setup

then scroll down to the geocaches field and select the file you want active.

You can have multiple loaded files, but only one (up to 200 caches) can be active at a time. Also, if you keep your pocket queries at 200 caches or less, you won't lose any in the transfer. The conversion software has a limit of 200 caches in a geocache file.

Oh yeah, I've done the active setup and for geocache it says it's empty (even when I've loaded .gs files into the the directory). Once again maybe I'm not saving it to the correct directory? I do notice that under active setup for POI it says "Default POI file". Now any .poi files I save there show up on the map. I don't see a "Default GS file". I tried creating it but no luck.

Okay, I see now that you were trying to make the file active.

I use the Magellan Geocache Manager to tranfer files to my explorist. This should have come with your unit, have you tried it? I think the other magellan software will also send .gs files to your gps, any software that converts to .gs should work for what you wnt to do.

When you activate a file, are you seeing a list of the files you have transferred to select from? There is no "default GS file." I usually name my files based on location so I can easily find and activate the one I want.

I use the Magellan Geocache Manager to tranfer files to my explorist. This should have come with your unit, have you tried it? I think the other magellan software will also send .gs files to your gps, any software that converts to .gs should work for what you wnt to do.

When you activate a file, are you seeing a list of the files you have transferred to select from? There is no "default GS file." I usually name my files based on location so I can easily find and activate the one I want.

thanks for the information!!! I have tried using the magellan software and can get the files on there. So if I put 50 caches on my unit I need to do an active setup for each file? I love that any .poi file I have in my "default POI" directory just shows up on my map.

I'll keep working on it....

thanks for the information!!! I have tried using the magellan software and can get the files on there. So if I put 50 caches on my unit I need to do an active setup for each file? I love that any .poi file I have in my "default POI" directory just shows up on my map.

You can only have one file of geocaches active at a time. If those 50 caches were loaded together as one file, they will all show up if that file is active.

If you loaded each cache as a separate file one at a time, than you can only make one active. You can combine files before transferring using the magellan software, but if you are using pocket queries you should be able to get all the caches you want in one file that way.

You can only have one file of geocaches active at a time. If those 50 caches were loaded together as one file, they will all show up if that file is active.

If you loaded each cache as a separate file one at a time, than you can only make one active. You can combine files before transferring using the magellan software, but if you are using pocket queries you should be able to get all the caches you want in one file that way.

I believe I see what you are all talking about. If I have 50 caches it saves as just 1 waypoints.gs. I then make this file active and I see those. Thanks so much everyone!!

cache on~