A nav gps that allows coordinates?

GArmin 2610 if you can find one or the 2820. Both are waterproof but require 12 volts in the car to power. They both allow touchscreen input but have a handheld remote that works very well. I have used the 2610 for years in the car, on the motocycle and for over a year as the main device to get me near caches then I use a Garmin 60CSx. The Garmin 60CSx will also play both rolls be is not a touchscreen.

All of the Nuvi series are great street finders and work pretty well for geocaching. You could get a Nuvi 200 or 260 for now and maybe later get a mapping unit.

To use a Nuvi effectively for geocaching you need to carry a compass and match coordinates when you get close. You can enter coordinates by hand or through a USB cable connected to your computer. They have an off-road and pedestrian setting that will give you a line to follow and it gets you pretty close. Then you match your coordinates with the desired ones and move accordingly.

A mapping GPSr is easier to follow and will show the terrain features. Also it is weatherproof, more rugged, smaller and more readable in sunlight. They store more information for each cache, too.

I am pretty much a newbie myself so I can relate to your question.