GPS tech support

strohbie

When I first started using my GPS, I found that I would always be a ways off from where google earth thought the cache was. Eventually, I figured out that I have to add .177' to the N coordinate and subtract .066 from the W coordinate when I punch it in to my Magellan to get to where the cache is. This has proved to be very consistant for my 40+ finds. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to fix it? I use a magellan sportrak map.

Eventually, I figured out that I have to add .177' to the N coordinate and subtract .066 from the W coordinate when I punch it in to my Magellan to get to where the cache is.

Not sure why you need to do that... try using a Garmin.

The GPSr should be correct.

Ignore Google Earth. Images from space will never be accurate. The camera can't be directly over each coordinate to take pictures.

I have to add .177' to the N coordinate and subtract .066 from the W coordinate when I punch it in to my Magellan to get to where the cache is.

Every time I went caching with coordinates straight off the page, I ended up about 1000 feet S of where I eventually found the cache. I then took waypoint readings at the actual cache, compared it to the given coordinates on geocaching.com, and then averaged the results. This was with my first ten caches or so. After that, I simply add this number to each location, and it puts me where I belong.

Again, if there is anyone else who has encountered this or a similar problem, please let me know.

Edited by strohbie