Bluetooth W/ PDA VS. Handheld

Just wondering.... Ive got a PDA with Mapopolis already loaded with plenty of maps. All i need is a Bluetooth GPSR and im ready to go!! However, an all in one unit seems pretty tempting.. So my question is, pay a little more for the handheld unit (139 bucks) and not have to worry about the bluetooth aspect... or pay less (50 bucks) and have already maps and a pda to boot.... Any info on this would be greatly appreciated...

Oh yeah and the handheld i would buy would be a ---Garmin venture HCX

the bluetooth GPSR would be ---OnCourse Bluetooth GPS Receiver Edition 3 (SiRF III, WAAS enabled)

Thanks again~~

I would get a durable, reliable handheld GPS unit like the Legend HCx or Vista HCx and keep your PDA in your pack until you need it for the cache descriptions in Cachemate, or whichever other program you decide to use.

The batteries last for hours and hours on a handheld GPS unit and those can stand getting caught in a rainstorm or accidentally dropped in a rockpile.

I would get a durable, reliable handheld GPS unit like the Legend HCx or Vista HCx and keep your PDA in your pack until you need it for the cache descriptions in Cachemate, or whichever other program you decide to use.

The batteries last for hours and hours on a handheld GPS unit and those can stand getting caught in a rainstorm or accidentally dropped in a rockpile.

Very good point... Thanks for the help

....and there is no such thing as a venture HCx - just a Venture HC. :D

PDA's are just too fragile for trail use as a GPS and have a short battery life.

Keep the PDA in a padded pocket for paperless caching and pull it out when it is safe to do so. Carry the GPS anywhere.