Please explain Wherigo

wildchld97

Ok..I admit, I just stepped off the short bus on this topic. No laughs or I'll find you and muggle your cache. LOL No, really, don't laugh. I'm serious. I just heard of this thing that's new to me and I just wanna know what's up. From what I've read so far..you need a PSP.? Why do I hear the echos of younger people laughing hysterically all over the world? Help?

Wherigo is a way to create a cartridge that can be played on multiple platforms. I play mine on a Garmin Colorado but they can also be played on a pocket PC.

The cartridges I have seen have been of the tour type. You started at one point and it would give you information about the point. It would then lead you to the next point, etc.

You can also have interactions at each point. For instance you could ask a question and send the player in different directions dependent on the answer they gave.

You can go to Wherigo.com and download a cartridge and the Wherigo builder. The builder will let you play a cartridge in an emulator and see how the game can be played.

You can go to Wherigo.com and download a cartridge and the Wherigo builder. The builder will let you play a cartridge in an emulator and see how the game can be played.

Ah-Ha! That's what I was looking for... a way to check out some of the options available. I just finished my first one (not counting the tutorial), and I see lots of potential!
Does that mean you could build something like those old "choose your own path" adventure game books?

Yes, it means we can have a cave adventure all over again. "You are likely to be eaten by a grue." You know you want to.

You can create a cartridge through the Builder, hand-code one for something more complex, or even do a combination of both. Some of the limits at the moment are a lack of dynamic image creation and displaying animated video of something. Let your imagination guide you and the forums answer questions when you're stumped. There are now quite a few people in the forum helping with tech support. One of us will definitely answer.

Edited by Ranger Fox