Just bought a TomTom (Attempt No.2)

The are a couple of TomTom macros in the GSAK macro library and not sure which one you have used. There is a great macro (shameless plug) that will do it all for you and it will create the poi files and the icons for all the different cache types then it will copy all the files directly to the TomTom from within the macro.

In case you are unaware the macros will produce various .ov2 files and .bmp files and these files need to go into the same directory as the map in on on the TomTom. This will be a directory named something like this \United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

The macro (called TomTom.gsk) can be downloaded from here and although there are lots of 'boxes' on the screen when you run it there is an explanation of everything if you click the 'Help' button. If you have any other question about it then add a post here or drop me an email via my profile

Hope this helps

Edited by Big Wolf

Happy to do a quick 'idiot guide' when I'm home this evening if others have not already done so by then. Big Wolf's already given you the GSAK macros to generate the *ov2 files but you also need to change settings to:

1 let the TomTom show the caches

2. warn you when you are nearing them

3. change the compass so it points the right way

4. select the best coord format

5. get the cache icon how you like it

The are a couple of TomTom macros in the GSAK macro library and not sure which one you have used. There is a great macro (shameless plug) that will do it all for you and it will create the poi files and the icons for all the different cache types then it will copy all the files directly to the TomTom from within the macro.

In case you are unaware the macros will produce various .ov2 files and .bmp files and these files need to go into the same directory as the map in on on the TomTom. This will be a directory named something like this \United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

The macro (called TomTom.gsk) can be downloaded from here and although there are lots of 'boxes' on the screen when you run it there is an explanation of everything if you click the 'Help' button. If you have any other question about it then add a post here or drop me an email via my profile

Hope this helps

Right, I have kind of worked out how to get the caches onto the TomTom using your macro, but it doesn't seem to transfer all of the data from the gsak program. I've set up a PQ, with 500 caches, and opened it in gsak but each time I've attempted to move the locations it seems to only move so many. The same ones keep appearing. I read on a similar post that the parking locations are usually accompanied with a blue P and that hasn't happened either. Wigglesworth has sent me a guide to moving the caches to POI but I'm struggling with that as well. Using Vista and I can't seem to un-zip files, save attachments, etc. Never had any bother when using XP. Gsak is completely new to me but i think I've grasped the fundamentals, enough to transfer the cache info into the program; it's just getting all of the caches into the TT.

Thanks for your help.

Hope this helps

Right, I have kind of worked out how to get the caches onto the TomTom using your macro, but it doesn't seem to transfer all of the data from the gsak program. I've set up a PQ, with 500 caches, and opened it in gsak but each time I've attempted to move the locations it seems to only move so many. The same ones keep appearing. I read on a similar post that the parking locations are usually accompanied with a blue P and that hasn't happened either. Wigglesworth has sent me a guide to moving the caches to POI but I'm struggling with that as well. Using Vista and I can't seem to un-zip files, save attachments, etc. Never had any bother when using XP. Gsak is completely new to me but i think I've grasped the fundamentals, enough to transfer the cache info into the program; it's just getting all of the caches into the TT.

Thanks for your help.

What I think you are doing is just seeing the nearest 30 or so POI's near you. Tomtom will only show a limited number, to find a specific cache click on find and start typing in its name or move to another location and click on the find nearest and it will then show the nearest 30 or so to where the icon is flashing. If you have put a file on there they will all be in there.

Ive been in email contact with Raymond Duck by and it looks like the main issue is with getting GSAK to recognise the cache types within the main program. What happens is that they all appear to display as 'other' just as if a .Loc file had been loaded rather than a GPX file. Given that GSAK cant display the cache type then its little surprise that the macro wont work. Ive sent him a good known zip/gpx file for him to try so at present the issue is more to do with getting GASK working rather than the macro or the TomTom.

Although there is a definite problem with display the cache types its still possible that there is a weird Vista issue with the macro but Ill add a post back here once I know for certain.