Getting started...again Colorado questions

Hello all!

Just a couple quick questions. We havent done any caching quite yet, we had a Magellan explorist? for a few days this winter , but took it back to do some more research (like we SHOULD have done first lol)

We are looking at the Colorado 400t for geocaching and am wondering what and how many maps we might have to purchase to go with this unit?

We are just going to be using it for mountain/trails, some (small) town caching. We dont need lakes, turn by turn for driving etc.

I have asked some of the local stores but cant seem to get an answer that I can understand about what I might need to buy in order to use it straight away for geocaching in and around my area.

I new the cheapie I bought had a "base map"? when I bought it, but it was really lame. It showed the Columbia river and 2 major highways, that was it.

Now I now I could have spent another $50 or so for the map software for it, but was worried about how little detail it might give.

So anyway, IF we buy the Colorado 400t for fairley local land geocaching are the maps that come with going to show more detail than 2 major highways? or do you just have to plan on buying more maps/software no matter what gpsr unit you buy?

Thanks

Sammy

As I understand it the 400t comes with detailed topo maps already loaded so your "base" map will have far more detail than you are used to. It should show most roads as well as terrain features. The road maps might be a bit out of date because they use USGS data.

If you want the street maps to be reasonably up to date and want turn by turn driving directions you'll have to buy City Navigator.

You'll see a lot of complaints about the 400t but those are largely from people who are comparing it with the 60CSX, and it is missing a lot of features that the CSX has. But I assume you've never owned a a CSX so you probably won't miss them.

moving this to the gps units and software forum

Hello all!

Just a couple quick questions. We havent done any caching quite yet, we had a Magellan explorist? for a few days this winter , but took it back to do some more research (like we SHOULD have done first lol)

We are looking at the Colorado 400t for geocaching and am wondering what and how many maps we might have to purchase to go with this unit?

We are just going to be using it for mountain/trails, some (small) town caching. We dont need lakes, turn by turn for driving etc.

I have asked some of the local stores but cant seem to get an answer that I can understand about what I might need to buy in order to use it straight away for geocaching in and around my area.

I new the cheapie I bought had a "base map"? when I bought it, but it was really lame. It showed the Columbia river and 2 major highways, that was it.

Now I now I could have spent another $50 or so for the map software for it, but was worried about how little detail it might give.

So anyway, IF we buy the Colorado 400t for fairley local land geocaching are the maps that come with going to show more detail than 2 major highways? or do you just have to plan on buying more maps/software no matter what gpsr unit you buy?

Thanks

Sammy

if you buy the 400t, you really don't need any additional maps.... if you wish

to have VERY accurate street maps, and poi's, you can add the streets NT maps,

and the database of roads and poi's is better than on my indash gps in my car.

pulling into san jose airport, my indash unit had SJ airport, and my handheld

had all the separate terminals......

you can add higher resolution topo maps, but i cannot imagine why you'd need them

for geocaching....

FulThrotl

Apparently the base maps on the Colorado are very good, and if you're set on getting a Colorado for caching, the 400t is the way to go. However, be sure to cruise the forums and do your homework regarding this unit, as there have been significant issues with it that are still being dealt with.