TB Depot?

ByzantineFalcon

I am fairly new to caching, but in a recent trip to NM I picked up a few TB's, and looking over these forums got me to thinking.

I came across this cache (GC14TGX - Link) and was wondering what folks thought of the idea. Not necessarily a hotel or prison, I dont like the idea of that, but a depot of some sort in a spot thats close to the highway and easy for passer-by to access.

The idea of putting several TB's into circulation for long-distance trips has been rolling around in my head for awhile, and I think this might help as a 'jumping off' point for them. Would also help the other bugs in town that need to get moving to have somewhere to go for the trip.

Thoughts?

Just as I posted, I have a perfect idea for a general location. In Colorado Springs, right off of the interstate, there is a monument that is 'unofficially' a tribute to Stargate SG-1 (which is supposedly located in NORAD, which can be seen from this park). A "Stargate" Cache might be in order.

I am fairly new to caching, but in a recent trip to NM I picked up a few TB's, and looking over these forums got me to thinking.

I came across this cache (GC14TGX - Link) and was wondering what folks thought of the idea. Not necessarily a hotel or prison, I dont like the idea of that, but a depot of some sort in a spot thats close to the highway and easy for passer-by to access.

The idea of putting several TB's into circulation for long-distance trips has been rolling around in my head for awhile, and I think this might help as a 'jumping off' point for them. Would also help the other bugs in town that need to get moving to have somewhere to go for the trip.

Thoughts?

I think this is what a well done and well managed travel bug hotel is intended to do.

I came across this cache (GC14TGX) and was wondering what folks thought of the idea. Not necessarily a hotel or prison, I don't like the idea of that, but a depot of some sort in a spot that is close to the highway and easy for passers-by to access.

This is not a good idea. Most "travel bug hotels" or similar types of caches are too accessible and easy for non-geocachers to find, and many have become muggled. This has resulted in the loss of many travel bugs.

A cache should not be located in a "spot that is close to the highway and easy for passers-by to access." Such a cache can be easily found by non-geocachers, and therefore has a high risk of becoming lost or stolen. Caches should not be placed to close to busy roads as such caches tend to have a short life expectancy. One of the problems I see with geocaching is that there are too many geocaches that don't last very long, so geocachers should strive to make high-quality geocaches that will last a long time and are not likely to become lost or stolen.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to encourage geocachers to leave multiple travel bugs in a single cache, especially one that is not secure. If such a cache is muggled with multiple travel bugs in it, then all of the travel bugs that are in the cache at that time become lost.

I have explained my strong opposition to "travel bug hotels" in previous postings. I do not believe that such caches should be approved unless they conform to several strict criteria to ensure that they are likely to be secure and will not present a high risk of travel bug losses.

Any cache that a TB will fit into is a good cache for a TB. It helps if the cache is easy access and muggle proof, but it doesn't have to be a hotel, motel, depot, or have any other such name to make it a good place for TBs. I've always believed that placing all of your eggs in one basket is a good way for all of them to go missing at one time. (I read these forums every day, so I know it happens a lot) I'm not that enthusiastic about hotels, motels, depots, because any cache is a good place for a TB. Personally, I'd rather my TB went somewhere beautiful, and more remote, than have it go to a rest area cache with a bunch of other bugs. I'm more interested in where it goes, than how quickly it gets picked up and dropped off. That's me personally.

There are hundreds of TB hotels and alas, prisons too out there so some people must like the idea. But I wouldn't want my bugs placed in one, unless there is a hike and scenic route to get there. I don't really want my bugs going to events either. It's too easy to get lost or forgotten.

Hmm.. maybe a multiple cache to a more secure site.

I have just noticed in watching various caches around town for the past 5 months or so that the same bugs tend to stay in the area for long periods of time, preventing them from really traveling.

I went to a cache in NM on a trip, quick and easy, right off of the interstate (which was good, I was traveling with friends who were willing to help me pick up a few caches, but I didnt want to put them out of their way), where I got my first bug.

Perhaps a depot isnt a good idea, but I am not really much for the complex and complicated caches, personally. I usually dont have more than 15-30 minutes to really spend looking for a single cache at any given time (before/after work, or on the weekends or trips), so 'quick and easy' is what I think of when looking for and thinking about placing a cache. Good points about the loss of multiple bugs should it get muggled.

I will scout the area, see if I cant place a clue to a better location nearby and turn it into a fairly quick multi-cache. I figure I can just set it up, stock it with bugs I find that need to get out of town, and let it go from there. I still think the stargate themed cache is a good idea.

Here's a vote against making it a multi. People who are traveling by might be screening out multis when they are looking for quick caches along their route. No need to make things complicated, just put the cache where it's secure.

I picked up 4 TBs out of a cache today which the owner calls a TB Hotel. It's a 4 stage multi that involves driving between each stage. How many people want to stop and spend an hour on something like that when they're looking for a quick leg stretcher?

We would love to host a TB Resort. We are far enough off of the highway yet in a great location for one. In fact we are on a well beaten path for gcers. Muggles are not a problem as we have lots of acreage and lots of cache friendly terrain for the 1/1 to the 5/5 lovers. Anyone interested can reply and make drop off or pick up arrangements.

The Captain

We would love to host a TB Resort. We are far enough off of the highway yet in a great location for one. In fact we are on a well beaten path for gcers. Muggles are not a problem as we have lots of acreage and lots of cache friendly terrain for the 1/1 to the 5/5 lovers. Anyone interested can reply and make drop off or pick up arrangements.

The Captain

I'm sure you can have a cache listed once you are ready. Just remember, commercial caches won't be approved without specific approval from gc.com.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Good point on that as well.

I think I might try a few smaller caches around town and sit on this idea for awhile.

Thanks for the help!

Smaller as in Ammocans, right? :unsure:

You know, thats about right on... :blink:

I actually found one today, after a string of about a half dozen which I havent been able to find. There is one that a co-worker hid (one who has a rep for being very good at making tough caches) that I might go looking for after work tonight.