New to geocaching

cnh624

Hi, I am new to geocaching (I have zero experience have only read about it) , we are camping next week at an Arkansas state park with my 2 boys (2 & 3 years old) and my 9-year old nephew and 12-year old niece. I bought a Garmin at Wal-Mart today and hope I can figure it out and how to use it before we go. I would hate to get the kids excited about it and then be wandering around in the woods. Any suggestions greatly welcomed and thank you for the ideas regarding what to leave. I would imagine the whole treasure hunt appeal will not leave my 4 young charges not leaving the treasures so behind so I wanted to be sure and replace whatever we take. I think what I will do is stop at a store on the way to the park and let the children pick out some items to leave in the caches so they will feel like an even bigger part of the adventure. Thanks again and please any advice/suggestion greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Geocaching world.

To start I would stick to easy geocaches - look at both logs and ratings on the geocaching pages, also try to choose regular and ammo cases for initial finds - also stock your kids with swops so they can trade (don't be caught with a cache they cannot trade at - it kinda ruins the exsperiance for them). If you get them hooked early it makes geocaching a pleasure for you. Oh yes and initially do not do too many caches, the kids get bored easily. Rather have them wanting to go caching tomorrow than do too many and have them all negative. Oh and lastly but definitly not least let them find the easy ones - look but if you see it let them get it - if they are battleing to find it then perhaps a hint etc. I also do not let them look too long if they start loosing focus I normally just find it saying it's one for the dads and evetually I am going to beat them always seems to add to the competition, but always let them win.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Steve