Marking locations

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60csx and have been trying to mark locations. I've been using the averaging feature, but when I go back to the location it is often putting me 25 to 30 feet from where it should. Is there something I can do different to make it more accurate. I don't want to set up a new cache and then find out my co-ordinates are wrong.

Thanks.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60csx and have been trying to mark locations. I've been using the averaging feature, but when I go back to the location it is often putting me 25 to 30 feet from where it should. Is there something I can do different to make it more accurate. I don't want to set up a new cache and then find out my co-ordinates are wrong.

Thanks.

for bestresults, i actually don't use the averaging feature.

i take a bunch of readings myself and drop the outliers.

20-30 feet is well within the accuracy range and should not be considered to be too much deviation.

Thanks.

25-30 feet is well within the accepted norm.

I use the averaging feature when I hide a cache. I set the unit down and let it take about 100 samples. Using this technique I have gotten comments on how accurate my coordinates are.

As others have said, you aren't out of the norm with your numbers.

I do both---take an averaged reading and take a few simple readings. I make sure my accuracy reading is "pretty good" to start with (less than 20 feet if I can get it there) and then fire way. If several of the simple readins matche the averaged one, I go with it.

15-20 feet is about the norm for my 60 CSx on a good day.....(and I haven't seen any of the HCx units yet that were any better than my CSx).

Fresh batteries help, making sure your compass is either recently calibrated or turned off, and having the unit good and warmed up all seem to improve accuracy. I don't turn off my unit once I turn it on for the day --it seems like it gets a better signal as the day goes on. (I do plug in into the car while I'm in there, to save battery power).

For bestresults, i don't use the averaging feature. I set the GPSr down when I get to the location and let it sit for a little bit. I then mark the waypoint and leave.

Ditto. I'll then walk away 50 feet or so then reapproach the cache and see how close I get. If I'm off 20+ feet I'll let the unit sit for another 5 minutes or so and reposition the original waypoint.

Unless you are using a professional grade GPSr then 25 - 30 feet is phenomenal.

Try this little experiment. Leave your GPSr turned on in your backyard for a couple hours then come back and take a look at the track. It is interesting to see where your GPSr though it traveled while sitting in the same spot in your backyard the whole time.

A few years ago, I dropped a waypoint at my parking spot in my driveway. My Venture Cx always leads me back to within 20 feet or so of this spot.

BTW, the article that you cited is from early 2004. GPSrs have gotten better.

Edited by sbell111

Try this little experiment. Leave your GPSr turned on in your backyard for a couple hours then come back and take a look at the track. It is interesting to see where your GPSr though it traveled while sitting in the same spot in your backyard the whole time.

A few years ago, I dropped a waypoint at my parking spot in my driveway. My Venture Cx always leads me back to within 20 feet or so of this spot.

The principles haven't changed and we are still taking feet for recreational GPSrs and centimeters for professional GPSrs. Also we currently at the very bottom of the sunspot cycle. Sunspots haven't been a real factor in accuracy for years but they will be in the coming years. Maybe even enough to add a couple feet of error at times.

The principles haven't changed and we are still taking feet for recreational GPSrs and centimeters for professional GPSrs. Also we currently at the very bottom of the sunspot cycle. Sunspots haven't been a real factor in accuracy for years but they will be in the coming years. Maybe even enough to add a couple feet of error at times.

Principles haven't changed but the electronics have. Edited by sbell111