How to activate a geocoin - What are these codes?

terrim

Well.... somehow my whole post got lost. Here we go again!

I'm trying to start out my first geocoin. I have 3 codes.

1. The code stamped onto the geocoin

2. The activation code I got from Oakcoins.com when I went in to activate it. There's a place to write this on the little square of paper that's included in the plastic sleeve that the coin came in.

3. The Trackable item number I got from geocaching.com when I registered it there. That process gave me this message:

"You have successfully assigned this Trackable Item to your account. Your Trackable Item number is:

TBXXXXX

Write this number down. This is the number you can share with other users. Do not give out your Trackable Item tracking number as it is used to verify that users have your Bug."

I assume that activation code is mine, and I should not pass it on with the geocoin? Is that right?

And what about the Trackable item number? It says share it with others, then in the next sentence, don't give it out.

I'm usually good at following directions but this has got me confused. What codes go on with the coin?

The TBxxx code you can give to anyone, just means they can look up the coin.

To actually log the coin you have to have the number stamped on the coin.

You should not give this out as people would then be able to log your coin with out seeing it and that is not allowed by the GC rules.

Hope that helps, any other questions have a look in the Geocoins discussion section

Ljay

Well.... somehow my whole post got lost. Here we go again!

I'm trying to start out my first geocoin. I have 3 codes.

1. The code stamped onto the geocoin. This is the coins Tracking Number-it is used to log the coin when it is moved and by you to activate it. Do not share this number with anyone that has not seen the coin.

2. The activation code I got from Oakcoins.com when I went in to activate it. There's a place to write this on the little square of paper that's included in the plastic sleeve that the coin came in. This code is only used once by you to activate your coin.

3. The Trackable item number I got from geocaching.com when I registered it there. This is the Trackable Item Identification Number. It is used to look up a coin/TB and cannot be used to log it. You may share this number with anyone.

That process gave me this message:

"You have successfully assigned this Trackable Item to your account. Your Trackable Item number is:

TBXXXXX

Write this number down. This is the number you can share with other users. Do not give out your Trackable Item tracking number as it is used to verify that users have your Bug."

I assume that activation code is mine, and I should not pass it on with the geocoin? Is that right?

And what about the Trackable item number? It says share it with others, then in the next sentence, don't give it out.

I'm usually good at following directions but this has got me confused. What codes go on with the coin?

The only code that goes anywhere with the coin is the number that is stamped into the coin. I keep the small card with the coins Tracking number, activation code and ID number in a file to keep track of my coins numbers. (don't send this card out to travel with the coin.)

Edited by DaFunkyFrogs