getting my paperless geocaching solution "tricked out"

Hynr

OK, I’m in trouble.

I issued a challenge for a geocaching event (GC134MJ) scheduled for Memorial Day where I shot off my mouth and challenged all comers to a GPSr duel of sorts: a “Paperless Geocaching Throwdown”. (To see what is going on, check in the Forums at the site set up specifically for that event: http://www.geowoodstockvi.com/ ).

Boy was that stupid. Now I have to do some quick upgrading. I need some advice:

Can anyone tell me where I can quickly get one of those rubbery things that goes around a PDA to keep it from breaking when it falls? I need one to fit a Garmin iQue 3600. (If anyone selling these is protectors is interested in having several hundred geocachers see your product in action, - send me a demo unit - I would need to get it before Memorial Day weekend.)

Also, does anyone know if Garmin sells extended warranties on their PDA products? That might actually be a better solution for my needs.

And while I’m at it, I need to get my battery capacity to surpass that of a Triton 2000. Anyone have any ideas? Or is it even a problem? I don’t really know what the Triton has, but I suspect that that might be the weakness in my armor.

I already have one of those hat-clip flashlights that I can clip on to the iQue’s antenna, so I do have that feature covered.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if you already have something like this all tricked out for me to borrow for the event, then you would be my friend forever. In the words of the immortal Shrek: “Really-really”.

OK, I’m in trouble.

I issued a challenge for a geocaching event (GC134MJ) scheduled for Memorial Day where I shot off my mouth and challenged all comers to a GPSr duel of sorts: a “Paperless Geocaching Throwdown”. (To see what is going on, check in the Forums at the site set up specifically for that event: http://www.geowoodstockvi.com/ ).

Boy was that stupid. Now I have to do some quick upgrading. I need some advice:

Can anyone tell me where I can quickly get one of those rubbery things that goes around a PDA to keep it from breaking when it falls? I need one to fit a Garmin iQue 3600. (If anyone selling these is protectors is interested in having several hundred geocachers see your product in action, - send me a demo unit - I would need to get it before Memorial Day weekend.)

Also, does anyone know if Garmin sells extended warranties on their PDA products? That might actually be a better solution for my needs.

And while I’m at it, I need to get my battery capacity to surpass that of a Triton 2000. Anyone have any ideas? Or is it even a problem? I don’t really know what the Triton has, but I suspect that that might be the weakness in my armor.

I already have one of those hat-clip flashlights that I can clip on to the iQue’s antenna, so I do have that feature covered.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if you already have something like this all tricked out for me to borrow for the event, then you would be my friend forever. In the words of the immortal Shrek: “Really-really”.

From the GWVI forum page.

I have ascertained that I have the best paperless geocaching solution. And because of the frequency at which I get approached to demonstrate it, I have decided to post a "throwdown"-type challenge! If anyone has a better solution, come and demonstrate! Prove me wrong if you dare!

Since the throwdown is about YOUR setup. For us to loan or contribute would be cheating. Sounds like you may have a problem. I really dont think you can ask us to help you in a case like this. You made the challenge now you have to live with it. Asking to borrow my super small super cool fuel cell back up battery would not be in the spirit of the challenge since you state that its YOUR system.

I hate to say it but you are on your own. Any support from us would not be in the spirit of the challenge. :D

Edited by Michael

:D You are absolutely right. I retract the request to borrow someone else's. It was said in desperation and I am happy to be able to retract that bit of nonsense. Especially since my solution probably will beat the competitors without any trouble. I will let my solution compete. But I see no reason why I cannot use the next week to get it in shape to "hedge my bets".

Also, I mistakenly indicated that the throwdown is on Memorial Day. It is actually on the Saturday before Memorial Day. So I have only one week to get my act in gear.

There is, however, nothing wrong with asking for suggestions. There is a wealth of information in the people that use the forum. So feel free to ask if you get stuck.

Im also not sure you can beat my IPAQ with the Navman Jacket and 100 hour fuel cell as a power source :D

Yes it does have an external antenna if needed too. :D

There is, however, nothing wrong with asking for suggestions. There is a wealth of information in the people that use the forum. So feel free to ask if you get stuck.

Im also not sure you can beat my IPAQ with the Navman Jacket and 100 hour fuel cell as a power source :D

Yes it does have an external antenna if needed too. :D

Sounds to me like you're dangerously close to Wheatland. Could it be that you're planning a sinister event of some type to take unfair advantage of the tourists? :P:D

I am so glad you made this thread otherwise I may not have known about the throwdown. I have no doubts that my setup or one very similar will come out on top.I am gonna have to fine tune my setup a little since I havent been caching much lately but have no fears my paperless will come ready to crush.The only area of concern is the same with most of the paperless devices is durability.I know for sure it will take some good tumbles as it has the scars to prove it but no where near what my handheld could survive.

oh and your post on the GW forum

"If you are not sure whether your "paperless solution" might compete well, then post a note here and we'll figure it out."

Good try to try and size up the competition but youll have to wait and see :P