GC map coverage doesn't match Google Maps

rokhead

Case in point - see this cache, viewed from Geocaching.com's Google Map mashup (from the cache listing page):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=15&mt=m

and the same area viewed in Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe...040169&z=15

Note that Pope Rd shows on Google Maps view (and my GPSr), but not on the geocaching.com interface to Google Maps.

Any plans to update this?

Wow - that second link is a mess when viewed in IE 8.......

Let me assure you that Google is providing the maps on both those links. Got to be a discrepency in the database delivering the result or something along those lines. I am sure Google will have to look into the issue but maybe somebody at HQ can prompt them.

Edited by StarBrand

Google may be providing the maps for both, but the underlying data comes from different sources. At the bottom of the maps, the geocaching.com one says "Map data ©2008 Tele Atlas" while the Google one says "©2008 Google - Map data ©2008 NAVTEQ"

I don't know if there is a way that geocaching.com can specify the data source.

Edited by Lil Devil

Different magnifications in Google Maps can come from different dates.

I look at job locations in it. The property in this case was built in 2006. In the first one that came up, the property was a vacant field. I zoomed in some and the buildings were under construction. I zoomed in all the way, and the property was finished. This was in an area with the best coverage.

Lil Devil is all over it.

Google sometimes delivers data from different vendors from maps.google.com and a maps API site like Groundspeak. Sometimes the differences are mandated by license agreements and sometimes it's just things that are out of sync. In the example of Navteq vs. Tele Atlas, for any given area, sometimes either one will "win", so checking as many sources as you can may be important to you.

"A man with two map vendors never knows where he is." (or something like that.)