best gps for geocaching and driving for less than $250

Kinda depends on whether you want it to be primarily for geocaching ( with auto routing abilities ) or primarily for auto navigation with possible use as a geocaching unit.

If primarily for geocaching, the VistaHCX or the 60csx are probably your best bets.

If primarily for auto use, check out the Garmin Nuvi line and look at the following link;

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193374

PilotSnipes is using his Nuvi360 for geocaching ( it is recognized as an excellent auto gpsr). In addition, utililizing third party software, the Nuvi line can provide for completely paperless geocaching.

I using a VistaHCX but, rather than pay for the maps for the Vista, I paid a little more for a dedicated auto gps.

I love being able to load all the cache info ( description, hints, maps, found status, type of cache, etc etc ) on the Nuvi.

If you want a durable, waterproof, handheld GPS unit with long battery life, I recommend either the Legend HCx or Vista HCx with the City Navigator maps. Either of those GPS units cost less than $250, but when you add in the cost of the maps, you will go over that amount by a bit . . .

Vista HCX w/ city nav nt, like everybody else is saying. Im the same way, one do it al GPS. Cant explain to the "ol lady" why I need to have 2 gps, so I purchased one. Works great as well, but I am still learning.

you can pick up the City nav NT v8 on google shopping for $70 and go to ebay for a vista hcx. most of them go for $190 or so new in box. Right now there is an outdoor package that comes with TOPO 2008 as well. but, even if you pay 190 and 70, it puts you over budget by $10. So, dont fill up the gas tank fully next time and your good to go. good luck!

Edited by highrolla7

new to geocaching and looking to buy a handheld gps for geocaching and driving. something that is compatible with a computer is preferrable.

Before you buy ANY magellan product, I suggest you google magellan trouble shooting and that you check out the HORROR stories of people who have owned them. There are hundreds of customer reviews describing defective units, incompetent tech support and finally just ignoring all customer emails letters and lies told to customers over the phone. I personally have returned one brand new defective explorist 400 which was replaced by a defective triton 400 which after 8 calls to tech support and waiting 5 weeks for a supposedly arriving return mailer have just discarded.

If you are looking at the dollars real close don't forget to consider the cost of Maps to load, and Chips to buy, and wires to plug in - preloaded maps may not do the job. topo maps don't work for Driving - vise-versa. Some wires double for power and download from the computer as well.

Keep adding!