Newbie needs help with eTrex Legend HCx (please)

Hi Everyone,

:blink: Sorry to make my first post a request for help but we just got our eTrex yesterday, went out for about an hour then came home. I was able to "write to GPS" the locations of a couple of cache's, so once we figured it out, we came home to load up some more.

Ever since then, I can't make the navigation work. I got about 30 caches loaded onto the GPS but when I choose one, and click on "GoTo" it opens up to the screen that normally would lead me to the cache, however all the fields are blank with the exception of "Speed". That one does adjust when I walk or drive.

"Dist to Next" is blank, so is "ETA At Dest" and "Time to Next". Also the GPS Compass displays (and rotates when I turn around), but there is no arrow telling me which way to go.

Does anyone have any idea what I've done wrong? Have I maybe disabled some feature? I'm bummed there's no Garmin support over the weekends, as I really wanted to go out with my daughter again today.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys might have. Hope all the moms out there are having a wonderful Mother's Day! :o

Hi Everyone,

:laughing: Sorry to make my first post a request for help but we just got our eTrex yesterday, went out for about an hour then came home. I was able to "write to GPS" the locations of a couple of cache's, so once we figured it out, we came home to load up some more.

Ever since then, I can't make the navigation work. I got about 30 caches loaded onto the GPS but when I choose one, and click on "GoTo" it opens up to the screen that normally would lead me to the cache, however all the fields are blank with the exception of "Speed". That one does adjust when I walk or drive.

"Dist to Next" is blank, so is "ETA At Dest" and "Time to Next". Also the GPS Compass displays (and rotates when I turn around), but there is no arrow telling me which way to go.

Does anyone have any idea what I've done wrong? Have I maybe disabled some feature? I'm bummed there's no Garmin support over the weekends, as I really wanted to go out with my daughter again today.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys might have. Hope all the moms out there are having a wonderful Mother's Day! :lol:

It sounds like you are not in "Off Road" Navigation. That is necessary for the geocaching mode to work.

Hi there & thanks for the reply...

I can't find any setting for "Off Road Navigation" nor do I see it mentioned in my User's Manual. Maybe that verbage isn't used in my particular device, but I can't find anything similar that I can turn on.

:-/

Hi there & thanks for the reply...

I can't find any setting for "Off Road Navigation" nor do I see it mentioned in my User's Manual. Maybe that verbage isn't used in my particular device, but I can't find anything similar that I can turn on.

:-/

I don't have that unit to confirm, but it should be something like main menu/setup/routing/guidance method. Choose "Prompted" and every time you select a goto, you will be asked if you how you want to navigate: "Follow Road" or "Off Road". Choose off road to get the geocaching mode.

From my legend HCx, try this:

Main menu, Setup, Map, Map Setup-General. There is a "Lock On Road" drop down list. Select Off.

You can also find this another way: if you are on your map screen, press the menu button (bottom along the left side). click down to the Setup Map item on the menu.

But I'm not sure this is the answer. When I turn that function ON I still get a compass screen. This is the "Lock On Road" option, not the Off Road option. I can't find that on my Legend HCx. It used to pop up on the Legend Cx.

Edited by TeamEcuador

From my legend HCx, try this:

Main menu, Setup, Map, Map Setup-General. There is a "Lock On Road" drop down list. Select Off.

You can also find this another way: if you are on your map screen, press the menu button (bottom along the left side). click down to the Setup Map item on the menu.

But I'm not sure this is the answer. When I turn that function ON I still get a compass screen. This is the "Lock On Road" option, not the Off Road option. I can't find that on my Legend HCx. It used to pop up on the Legend Cx.

Thanks Joe...I was able to follow your instructions and found the area you were talking about. Mine WAS set to "On" so I turned that off. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue...I still have an "empty" compass. I'm going to try to call Garmin on my lunchbreak today (I expect it won't be a 3 minute phone call, ha ha). Hopefully they can help me, or maybe I just have a bum unit and need to exchange it.

Either way I hope to be back on the hunt soon!

Thx again for your help!

I am fairly certain that you have simply turned off the navigation.

Once you get to the screen that normally shows the "dist to next" info, press the bottom left button. On the small menu that pops up, at the very top, it probably now says "Resume Navigation". Highlight that line, then press the toggle button (the one on the front face above the screen) and I will bet that the info shows like you want.

Hi Everyone,

:laughing: Sorry to make my first post a request for help but we just got our eTrex yesterday, went out for about an hour then came home. I was able to "write to GPS" the locations of a couple of cache's, so once we figured it out, we came home to load up some more.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys might have. Hope all the moms out there are having a wonderful Mother's Day! :lol:

I am fairly certain that you have simply turned off the navigation.

Once you get to the screen that normally shows the "dist to next" info, press the bottom left button. On the small menu that pops up, at the very top, it probably now says "Resume Navigation". Highlight that line, then press the toggle button (the one on the front face above the screen) and I will bet that the info shows like you want.

Nope, that wasn't it... it said "Stop Navigation" when I went there. Also, I have a purple line between my home and the cache when I view the map, so I think that's indicative that navigation is "on" right?

Similar to this problem?

OP sent it back to Garmin. Please post how it gets resolved for you.

YES that's exactly the same problem I had, only mine wasn't the Vista of course. I had purple lines, but no red arrows (after the first trip out of the box). So I knew what it was SUPPOSED to do, just not how to fix.

I spoke to a "Jim" at Garmin this morning, and he led me through a variety of settings, menu choices, and even a system reset I guess you'd call it. None of that did the trick, so he too recommended I send mine in. I said better yet, I'm going to let the retailer do it. I haven't even owned the thing for 48 hours yet.

I just got back from exhanging it and I'm back in business!! CHA-CHING! So happy! My daughter will be too--she was so bummed we didn't spend all Mother's Day hunting!

Thanks to EVERYONE who tried to assist me, you're all great! However that now makes "two" of us with the 'never heard of' bug with the compasses ("Jim" hadn't seen that before either).

Phew!