Earth Caches..why are there not more?

murfster

Silver level would be a gimme for me... If only there were more in Quebec

I'm planning to grab several in Ontario and Michigan over the course of the summer, but Quebec will seem to be a problem

Calgary, you say... Hmm... There may need to be a trip out there one day - Earthcaches and a Wild/Flames game :o

Silver level would be a gimme for me... If only there were more in Quebec

Maybe, but you still have to develop an earthcache, find 6 with at least 3 in different provinces or countries. I will jump from bronze level to gold level earthcache master when I go to Ottawa this summer. I have the numbers, just can't seem to get anywhere near an earthcache outside of AB and BC (except for that one time I visited Mt St Helen's, but the road was closed because of a snow storm :D ).

I'm planning to grab several in Ontario and Michigan over the course of the summer, but Quebec will seem to be a problem

what about this one that is just across the bridge from Ottawa:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-126099aa0046

Calgary, you say... Hmm... There may need to be a trip out there one day - Earthcaches and a Wild/Flames game ;)

wait until I get a few more out for the building stone tour. Unless of course, you want to log a dozen glacial erratics. :D

Edited by shearzone

why are there not more? likely because earthcaches require research effort of the placer [;)] - might seem too much like work!

Not around here they don't..... All the newer ones have very little effort and no research. Find a boulder that is not native. Instant earthcache. They are the new lame virtual.

It is really quite sad actually, IMO, as the idea of an earthcache sounds great. There needs to be more control over them needing to be something that is somewhat unique and educational.

what about this one that is just across the bridge from Ottawa:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-126099aa0046

Well, the problem is that that one is about the only one that I can get in a day trip, realistically - Any of the other (8) would require a longer trip - And I can't see my doing that while I'm still in University.

As for developing one of my own - I want to try to put one in Gatineau Park somewhere - The obvious place for one in Ottawa (Mer Bleue Bog) already has one

Calgary, you say... Hmm... There may need to be a trip out there one day - Earthcaches and a Wild/Flames game ;)

wait until I get a few more out for the building stone tour. Unless of course, you want to log a dozen glacial erratics. :D

Well... I'd rather see something interesting, even if it meant waiting for my pin :D

Edited by Taoiseach
Not around here they don't..... All the newer ones have very little effort and no research. Find a boulder that is not native. Instant earthcache. They are the new lame virtual.

There is even one case where the person misidentified a pile of rocks as having been transported by a glacier, when in fact it was quarried less than 500 m away. I told the person about it, but I received no response, nor was there any change to the listing. I found another erratic during my weekend wandering and I'm not telling anyone where it is out of fear that someone might make an earthcache out of it!

All the newer ones have very little effort and no research.

Since the only Earthcache I have developed is outside the city I'll ignore that remark. ;)

They are the new lame virtual.

Sad but true.

There needs to be more control over them needing to be something that is somewhat unique and educational.

Yeah. No offence to those who have hidden them, but I'm tired of "estimate the size of the erratic."

I do like the one where the "erratics" were, in actuality, "deposited" in their current location by a D9 Cat.

Since the only Earthcache I have developed is outside the city I'll ignore that remark. ;)

You have an earthcache???

Hang-on........

That one looks good. Informative and takes you someplace well out of the way that you would not normally see or find if it was not for Geocaching. And I assume it is not a good place for a physical cache. Sounds just like what they should be.

That one looks good. Informative and takes you someplace well out of the way that you would not normally see or find if it was not for Geocaching. And I assume it is not a good place for a physical cache. Sounds just like what they should be.

Yeah, while there is at least one physical cache in the park that I know of, when I contacted the provincial government about getting permission to "hide" the Earthcache there they gave me two requirements I had to meet:

1) No physical container would be hidden at the site.

2) People would not need to leave the existing pathways to "find" the cache.

I love that spot and figured it would make a good placement because, as you say, many people never know about it until they get there because of caching -- whether for the Traditional or outforthehunt's Brass Cap. I'll also admit I did it because I wanted to get to the Silver level in the Earthcache Masters program -- which I think is the biggest reason we see lame Earthcaches...people who are driven by numbers and things of that nature develop the Earthcaches just to get to the next highest level. (I don't have any other ideas for Earthcaches so I'm likely stalled at the level where I currently sit!)