Looking for my first Cache in Iraq

warrior58d

Okay. I found out that there are caches in Iraq where I am now so I acquire a GPS from my local supply sgt and off I go. It was recommended that I practice before I go home and introduce this fun to the kids. Now I actually FIND the box. I open it up and it says "Disappointment Cache" (yea was I ever) with a great note from the owner saying how he got into this game and if I don't mind walking a little more I will find the real deal so off I go. It's a mile as the crow flies but about 2.5 to 3 when you have to go around a fenced and barbed wired old ammo supply point. Now I get to within the vic of the cache and wouldn't you know it. Its right in the middle of the new MRAP vehicle driving course. I look and look and look but don't find it. Now it looks like there was a structure there before but it has been torn down and when I look on top I do find a small shallow hole with nothing in it. My question is. Should I write the owner and tell him the conditions of the area now and what I did find and ask him if this looks right? The only reason I ask this is it is a combat zone and like I said there has been a lot of recent activity and bulldozing and driving and stuff at the coordinates so I am at a loss on what do to do. The other thing is how do I log it since it is a two part cache and I found the first half but don't know if the second half is there due to the reasons stated above. Any advice you have would be helpful

Thanks

John

Log a DNF and notify the owner that it may need maintenance.

Yeah, you can mention the situation in your DNF log. If the owner is still there he can fix it, otherwise it might be time to archive it.

Or if the owner is back in the US and you can get in touch with him, maybe you can replace it for him.