Vista HCx missing geocache info on compass page

I've got a question about the Vista HCX when I'm using it for geocaching. I've had the software updated to 2.6/2.6 for a while now and everything is working great. I was going to use it for the first time to find a cache and I wasn't quite sure which screen to use. It also seemed like info was lacking.

I've got a bunch of caches loaded. I go to Main Menu > Find > Geocache and then select one from the list. I then get the option to goto/map/delete. I choose goto and it gets me directions to go there (I should turn City Nav maps off I guess).

If I change to the compass page, this is where I feel that I am lacking some information that I have seen on other peoples screen shots. I have some information on the top of the screen and the compass. I am missing the 3 buttons along the bottom! FOUND/DATA/STOP. Where are they? Why is mine different? Without the FOUND button, how do I tell the unit that I have "found" the cache?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Some screenshots I grabbed off of a website:

garminall.jpg

My Geocache page:

garmingeocache.jpg

My Compass page (I couldn't get any satellites inside by my computer so it doesn't show anything.)

Note "missing" buttons along the bottom:

garmincompass.jpg

Edited by mckeand13

looks like the compass page with no waypoint goto set. I am having issues getting the unit to spit out bearing and distance data. I get the three buttons, but nothing else. No bearing, no distance to waypoint, and no red arrow on the compass. I posted http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=192736,

I am calling garmin tech as I type here. will post resolution in above thread.

Even when I have satellites locked, my compass page still looks the same, as in no 3 buttons on the bottom. I can't get any satellites by my computer so I had to post the pic like that.

You only see the buttons if you are going to a geocache. Other waypoints don't show those. For some reason it must not think the waypoint you have specified is a geocache.

For you to get the three buttons, the waypoint must be a geocache -so designated by the icon, you must be in the goto mode and the unit must be locked on the satellites.

If all of those criteria are met, it sounds like you have the same problem that we discussed in this thread yesterday.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=192736

By "goto mode" he means using the Off-Road option.

For you to get the three buttons, the waypoint must be a geocache -so designated by the icon, you must be in the goto mode and the unit must be locked on the satellites.

If all of those criteria are met, it sounds like you have the same problem that we discussed in this thread yesterday.

That did it! I went to MAIN PAGE > SETUP > ROUTING > GUIDANCE METHOD > change to "off road"

Thanks!

That did it! I went to MAIN PAGE > SETUP > ROUTING > GUIDANCE METHOD > change to "off road"

Thanks!

If you set the guidance method to "Prompted" it will give you the option of "Follow Road" or "Off Road" each time you goto a waypoint (geocache or anything else). You might find this useful if/when you have routing highway maps on your unit and actually want to have it calculate a route by road.

Thanks!

If you set the guidance method to "Prompted" it will give you the option of "Follow Road" or "Off Road" each time you goto a waypoint (geocache or anything else). You might find this useful if/when you have routing highway maps on your unit and actually want to have it calculate a route by road.

That's exactly what I did. I have CityNav2008 loaded so I want to get driving directions as well as use it for geocaching.

If you have used the "Follow Road" prompt to get to the cache, you need to do another "Go To" using the "Off Road" prompt when you get to the location. That will give you the Found option on the compass page.

Unless you've gone far enough to get the "arrived" message, all you have to do is use the Recalculate option in order to switch to Off-Road (assuming you've got Prompted mode turned on). When driving, I usually switch over about a 1/10th of a mile away.

Edited by Prime Suspect