Best Bang for My Buck

McSaint

I am starting a GPS Elective in my school next year - I need to get 7-10 GPS units. I just need the basics. What would be the best GPS unit for the least amount of money?

Once I get an idea on price I can start submitting Grants for my school.

Thank you for you help!

mcsaint and the Geo Cadets!

Easy - the Garmin etrex "H" (make certain you get the "H") for around $90.

However, a much more full featured unit is the Garmin Venture "HC". Color Screen, mapping, USB connections, long battery life, nice form factor - over the above unit. For around $135 (if you look around).

I agree with the recommendation regarding the eTrexH. But, if you are planning on having the students do activities that include a gps/computer interface, I think the Venture HC would be a better option. The USB cable comes with the unit. The eTrexH uses a separate cable that is purchased separately and, if the computer doesn't have a serial port, also would require an adapter. The extra features of the Venture HC, in my opinion, more than make up the cost differential.

I am starting a GPS Elective in my school next year - I need to get 7-10 GPS units. I just need the basics. What would be the best GPS unit for the least amount of money?

Once I get an idea on price I can start submitting Grants for my school.

Thank you for you help!

mcsaint and the Geo Cadets!

As others have said - first, you need to define what functionality you MUST have, and what would just be "nice to have", or not likely to be used at all. (And don't forget - there are many users who started out with the most basic model available, primarily based on budget considerations, but have then gone on to upgrade to a better unit.)

All of the eTrex H series have the same high-sensitivity receiver (as far as I am aware), so all give the same sort of accuracy / lock-on time / ability to hold a signal in urban canyons and under heavy tree cover etc. The older "non-H" series models are fine, but they WILL lose the signal a lot more frequently under difficult reception conditions. This may not be an issue if you only intend to use the units out in the grass plains or in the desert, but it can be a significant issue if you are using the units in urban areas and / or forests etc.

If the course content is restricted SOLELY to GPS Navigation principles and concepts, then even the most basic models will all have the required functionality. Indeed, it could be argued that any models with "bells and whistles" could actually distract from the intended primary course focus. (You could even argue that getting a non-H seres model could be an advantage from an educational point of view, as it can help to demonstrate that GPS technology DOES have limitations.)

Next - do you need / want mapping capability. If so, you will need to step up the ladder to a Summit HC, Legend HC, Venture HCx or Vista HCx. If you want to load "large" areas of mapping, and / or you want turn-by-turn street auto-routing in the unit, you will need expandable memory, which means one of the "x" models. If you can live with a "modest" amount of mapping (typically, a few hundred square kilometres of street and / or topo mapping), and don't need auto-routing, the 24 MB fixed memory in the Summit HC and Legend HC should be fine. (Don't forget that Garmin maps will cost extra, and you need to buy a separate copy of most Garmin maps for each unit. There are also some free maps available - check coverage and detail before you decide.)

Do you need / would you like a barometric altimeter and magnetic compass? If so, look at the Summit HC or Vista HCx.

Finally, all use USB interface and include the necessary cable EXCEPT the basic eTrex H, which uses serial only, and the cable is an optional extra. Many new computers don't have a serial port, so you need to check this, and if necessary, consider a USB-to-Serial adaptor. Most work fine, but some people have had problems with some models.

Hope this helps!

Edited by julianh

Is this an elective for school? Say it isn't so? :)

To answer your question. Do the GPS' need to be the same brand and model?

I say contact the manufactures directly (Magellan, Garmin, Delorme, Lowrance, etc...) and ask them how they can help out.

Nothing wrong with the Garmin Geko.

101 = least expensive, no PC connectivity.

201 = middle range, pc connectivity and WAAS.

301 = most expensive, pc connectivity, waas, barometer and compass.

I think I got that right :)

I personally have 2 Geko 201's (looking for a 3rd) for the kids and friends who want to come along, they work great and are inexpensive.

I guess in my experience it worked just fine, which was under tree cover and up/down hills, in fact it brought me closer to caches than my 60CSx. :)

That said, in the vehicle it would only get about half of 2 satellites for strength while my 60CSx and Colorado had full locks on many satellites.