Pocket Queries without HTML cache description

OldWhiteMan

It would be nice if Pocket queries the HTML code would be filtered out. It could be but one such thing as an option in the website geocaching.com integrate.

It would be nice if you really cache descriptions in Colorado Garmin or Magellan Triton read. This is only without HTML!

It would be nice if Pocket queries the HTML code would be filtered out. It could be but one such thing as an option in the website geocaching.com integrate.

It would be nice if you really cache descriptions in Colorado Garmin or Magellan Triton read. This is only without HTML!

This is definitely an issue with the new Colorado series!

I started using a bit of HTML in my cache pages... nothing crazy (example) and one of our local cachers said "every time I load the cache description in the Garmin Colorado... the unit locks up and I have to remove the batteries to get it unlocked".

It's not like the HTML I'm using is anything crazy... I'm actually replicating the code that Groundspeak is using for their "disclaimer" box just above my code. It's perfectly friendly HTML code, but the Colorado chokes on it. We were wondering as well why the HTML isn't stripped out by Groundspeak before it goes into a PQ.

Great topic, good suggestion.

DCC

.... or

they could fix the Colorado to correctly display such pages.

I have at least 2 caches that would be a complete mess if you tried stripping out the HTML.

But what happens if I donwload your cache and load that PQ into my Palm? It's not going to display HTML either? But I guess when I send the PQ through GSAK and send it to the Palm, it re-formats it as well.

You are correct though... as long as Groundspeak and Garmin (or Magellan) are on the same page either solution would work.

Love the added functionality of these new handheld units... got to play with both of them at a recent event and all I can say is it's a good thing my local REI Sporting Goods was already closed for the evening or I might have done something "rash" on the way home! B)

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Well, the Colorado isn't the only thing that chokes on HTML. Paperless caching on an iPod can be an exercise in futility because many listings are full of so much crap HTML that the listing is 80% garbage and ends up being truncated for having too many characters.

Nothing like scrolling through 8 screens of noise only to get to the end of the file and realize you don't have a hint or even know what the container size is.

The easy solution is for people to go easy on the HTML in cache listings. I mean, to we REALLY need ten different colors and sizes and scrolling marquees to hide a film can in a cemetery?

Well, the Colorado isn't the only thing that chokes on HTML. Paperless caching on an iPod can be an exercise in futility because many listings are full of so much crap HTML that the listing is 80% garbage and ends up being truncated for having too many characters.

Nothing like scrolling through 8 screens of noise only to get to the end of the file and realize you don't have a hint or even know what the container size is.

The easy solution is for people to go easy on the HTML in cache listings. I mean, to we REALLY need ten different colors and sizes and scrolling marquees to hide a film can in a cemetery?

Just to clarify... the problem I mentioned above wasn't caused by "crap HTML" the HTML in question was fully W3C compliant. If you're viewing the listings as text on the iPod... the HTML (as well as the content) will show up as text.

DCC