Garmin for a Mac user

Wow!! There is a big wide world of geocaching out there and I've just discovered it. ;) I'm very excited and would appreciate any input you could give.

I've looked through the FAQ's and with my *ahem* how shall we say...........'ignorance' on terms I opted to start a thread in the hopes of tapping into your expertise.

I have a Mac so would need something compatible. I know I want a Garmin. I know I don't want to spend more than $200. We aren't going to be hiking the highest peaks of mountains as my family consists of myself, hubands and three children all under 8. But we do go on vacation annually to Black Butte in Central Oregon and think there would be a lot of 'canopy' (hope I got that right) out in that area. Any suggestions?

I was thrilled to find over 4000 cache's in my zip code alone. Holy cow!! I think I hit the mother loade! :)

I thank you in advance for any help/advice you can offer. I look forward to your input. :D

Christina in Oregon

Hi, Christina. Welcome to geocaching!

There are some excellent options now for Mac geocachers. Third-party software I've seen recommended includes MacCaching, MacGeoJournal, and MacGPS Pro.

Garmin itself is finally supporting the Mac OS. See their Mac page for more information.

I don't have a GPS receiver that takes downloadable maps, but I've seen discussion here about having to convert Garmin maps into Mac format on a Windows system before putting the maps on your Mac for downloading to your GPS receiver via the Mac-native Bobcat software. However, although it isn't mentioned on Garmin's Mac OS page, I believe I saw a comment on this forum just within the past week that Garmin has now released some Mac-native maps. I hope that someone who knows more about that will pop in here.

As for your slight tree problem in Oregon ;), you'll want a high-sensitivity GPS receiver. I think that means anything with an "H" in the name for Garmin products, but again, someone who's more up to date on current receivers can help you with that.

Patty

I would suggest the Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx, around $210. A great unit and the best bang for the buck. It will let you expand into maps later on as you grow.

There are more and more choices for free maps out there every day, so you can avoid buying the Garmin maps if you want. As stated, Garmin just recently started putting out Mac compatible software.

If you get a newer USB Garmin GPS and Mac your good to go. Garmin offers their mac software free. If you want expanded maps such as Garmin city navagator or US topo that will cost extra but they do come in Mac OS format. The fact that garmin is the only GPS company that develops Mac OS apps is enough for me to give them my money.

Do you think the Garmin eTrex Venture HC High-Intensity Color Mapping Handheld GPS would be a good one to start with?

I found it over at Amazon for a good price but it's almost too good and I'm wondering what is wrong, with it, kwow what I mean?

Christina :

That unit . . . lacking the X in the model designation probably doesn't have

provision for SD card memory expansion, so would be limited to 'on board'

memory, that's OK if you don't want to pack many maps but does limit your

future options . . . sooner than later.

Norm

Here's where my ignorance comes in.......does 'onboard memory' mean loading maps?? I'm still unclear as to how it actually all comes together.

I know I go to the site here and type in my zip code and I can load the coordinates onto the GPS, is that right? After finding cache's I'll be able to delete them to free up more memory, is that right?

Sorry, but I'm SO NEW but eager to learn. ;)

Here's where my ignorance comes in.......does 'onboard memory' mean loading maps?? I'm still unclear as to how it actually all comes together.

I know I go to the site here and type in my zip code and I can load the coordinates onto the GPS, is that right? After finding cache's I'll be able to delete them to free up more memory, is that right?

Sorry, but I'm SO NEW but eager to learn. ;)

I'm not really all that familiar with Garmin YET, but my understanding is : The

non 'X' models have a limited memory built in (24kb?) for maps, waypoints

(wpt.), geocaches (gpx.), tracks (?), and routes (?). For the casual weekend

user this MAY be enough memory, but for the hard core cachers this wouldn't

serve their interest. If one were to travel and cache, a laptop would be

essential to change out 'detail' maps (overlay the basemap, which in most

instances is rather crude), and feed a supply of caches for the various locales.

Having the ability to load up a high capacity SD card, or microSD card would

allow for more spontaneity, and less futzing around while on the road.

The lower end models that take expandable memory cards are (I think)

limited to 2 gig. cards whereas the "top o' the heap" colorados seem to have

been at least unofficially confirmed as at least functioning with 16 gig. cards.

I hope others chime in w/ more help, corrections, or clarification.

Norm

Well after talking to my husband this evening and sharing with him the fact that some friends of ours have the 60cx, he is leaning towards that one. :) There goes the budget I had. ;)

Off to check out the garage sale forum as well as Amazon......thanks so much for your help!!!

You all have been so helpful!

Jinga G, the 60CSx is to the 60Cx as the VistaHCx is to the Legend HCx, in other words the 60CSx and VistaHCx have the fluxgate compass and barometric altimeter. So if you were thinking about the LegendHCx then you should think about the 60Cx. However I think the compass is well worth the extra $20.

There have been many debates about the VistaHCx vs the 60CSx and the VistaHCx is a better unit in that it is more compact without sacrificing any functionality. The buttons on the 60CSx are really a PITA.

The screens on each are virtually the same size. The 60CSx has bad button placement, a dimmer (much dimmer) screen, poorer battery life, counterintuitive spongy buttons. But it does have a macho look to it which may be the deciding factor for some.

The 60CSx is living off it's former reputation as the best most sensitive garmin reciever. But the HCx has trumped it now.

But your friends won't give up trying to sway you so the best thing is to try them both in a shop.

I recently talked my landlord into getting a mac. His brother fought tooth and nail to talk him out of it. Anyway he ended up getting a new 24" iMac and now his brother wants to switch to mac. There's a lesson there somewhere.

If you prefer a mac to a PC you will prefer the Vista HCx to the 60CSx.

I'am thinking of buying a eTrex Vista HCx to connect with my Mac. I found on a forum that this is not gonna work? Is there somebody on this forum who actually has this in real life? :)

I would like to hear it from somebody who has got it working.

And for the Jinga G's you are so fortunate with over 4.000 caches in your zipcode. In the Netherlands it is booming but a small country has not that many caches. Hope to do some caching in the US and in other countries in the future!!! :)

I'am thinking of buying a eTrex Vista HCx to connect with my Mac. I found on a forum that this is not gonna work? Is there somebody on this forum who actually has this in real life? :D

I would like to hear it from somebody who has got it working.

And for the Jinga G's you are so fortunate with over 4.000 caches in your zipcode. In the Netherlands it is booming but a small country has not that many caches. Hope to do some caching in the US and in other countries in the future!!! :)

The Vista HCx works fine with Macintosh. I have both and it just works (in real life).

Garmin's Mac Site: LINK

Edited by coggins

I would suggest the Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx, around $210. A great unit and the best bang for the buck. It will let you expand into maps later on as you grow.

There are more and more choices for free maps out there every day, so you can avoid buying the Garmin maps if you want. As stated, Garmin just recently started putting out Mac compatible software.

I have had mac for 15+ years now and so for the last 4 1/2 years I have been following a yellow e trex arrow around I am excited that I might finally get a Legend HCX as a late mother's day present and be able to plug it into my mac. Are the maps that come on it some what adequate? Where do you go to get free maps?

Thank for any help, even though I have been caching for a while, I am completely GPS naive.

I'll jump in this thread and add my question.

I've got a 60Csx with an SD card from Garmin preloaded with city navigator.

I'd like to be able to load routes from sites like http://www.mapmyride.com/ to my GPS, but I also don't want to mess up my map data which wasn't cheap.

Mapmyride has an option to download GPX files. Will Garmin Communicator import the route without impacting the SD card? Or is there other software that would work better?

Thanks.

-murray

@murs,

It's not a bad idea to back up the card just in case, then you can always copy the info back to *the_same_card*. However having said that, it's OK to have other files sitting on the card. When the gps boots it just looks for the "Garmin" folder.

Edited by gallet

@murs,

It's not a bad idea to back up the card just in case, then you can always copy the info back to *the_same_card*. However having said that, it's OK to have other files sitting on the card. When the gps boots it just looks for the "Garmin" folder.

Ok, but how do I load the file that map my ride creates (<routename>.gpx.xml) onto my Garmin?

-murray