Unlock Codes

I have a 60 CSX and a recently purchased Vista HCx. My version of City Navigator came with 2 unlock codes and I have used both of them.

My question is, if I sell the Vista and make a copy of the CN Disk, would a new owner have the ability to download more map segments onto the Vista?

If not, I suppose I could fill the 1 gig card as full as possible with the area of the country the buyer is interested in.

Or could I load up more than one Micro SD card?

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

I have a 60 CSX and a recently purchased Vista HCx. My version of City Navigator came with 2 unlock codes and I have used both of them.

My question is, if I sell the Vista and make a copy of the CN Disk, would a new owner have the ability to download more map segments onto the Vista?

If not, I suppose I could fill the 1 gig card as full as possible with the area of the country the buyer is interested in.

I think what you want to do is technically possible, but violates the Garmin terms of use policy. The software is licensed to one owner and to transfer ownership the original owner must give up all use of it.

I think what you want to do is technically possible, but violates the Garmin terms of use policy. The software is licensed to one owner and to transfer ownership the original owner must give up all use of it.

My answer would be to transfer everything (all originals) to the new owner. That way it would be within Garmin's licensing requirements. I'd keep it installed on my unit and keep a copy. When you get a newer unit in the future you'll probably want to upgrade the software anyhow. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

I did something simular. I recently puchased a Garmin GPSMAP 60C & City Nav v6, which has been unlocked twice before, as a gift for my father-in-law. I had the guy save his registration/unlock code to a file and e-mail it to me. I registered them both, the GPSr and the software, through myGarmin and even asked product support is I was violating their terms of use policy and they replied with a "Nope!" I figure I can transfer it over to my father-in-law after he sets up his myGarmin acct.

I suppose we can be thankful that garmin has restricted their maps to a single unlock code now, thus sparing otherwise law abiding citizens from these sorts of moral dilemmas.

I suppose that is one way of looking at it! ;) Still sucks as I have four different Garmin GPS's, instead of purchasing two copies of the software, I now have to purchase four! :( Needless to say, I have yet to upgrade all my GPS's to CN v9.

Hi,

reading this thread, am I correct in assuming that you still have to have an unlock code for the SD cards?

I have a Legend C, which would require the Topo DVD, but for a little more money I could get a Vista HCx with a topo on SD card.

What I was hoping was to transfer this to a later upgraded handset in a couple of years (assuming the maps and software remain the same)?

@nightsurfer & co'

The Garmin preloaded SD cards are locked. But they are locked to the serial number of the card they came on, not a particular GPSr, therefore you need no unlock codes for them and they can be used in any number of GPSr's. The disadvantage is that you cannot load them to your computer, and if the card itself is damaged, then you lose your maps, which is why it should be backed up, but it can only be recopied back to it's original card.

My question is, if I sell the Vista and make a copy of the CN Disk, would a new owner have the ability to download more map segments onto the Vista? <snip>

I don’t remember what it actually says in the license agreement; but I don't doubt you are correct. Nevertheless, this is in Garmin’s Support Search:

Question: I want to sell my Garmin GPS unit and the locked software product I have for it. What do I need to do?

Answer:

We recommend contacting Garmin Unlock Tech Support as specifics can vary a great deal.

As a general rule, you should give the buyer ALL the information you have pertaining to the unit and the software you are selling. As well as unit and software, provide the buyer with any unlock codes you have for the unit for that software product, as well as the 7 digit registration code or 8 digit original coupon code associated with that software.

If you have multiple MapSource products that require unlock or multiple units to which you have unlocked them, you should contact Garmin Technical Support for advice.

Last modified on: 08/07/2007

I would provide a link to it, but the URL in my browser only goes to the start page for the Support Search. Clicking on a link to a topic doesn’t change the URL, so I can’t figure out how to get a direct link. :D