Garmin 60cx Arrow Problems

bbqbob2

I have been using and enjoying my 60cx for about a month now and have noticed a problem that is confusing me. I like to use the arrow screen with the "Distance to Destination" and "Accuracy" data fields when I'm getting close to a cache in the woods. Sometimes the arrow will disjoint, with the center section offset from the head and tail, and sometimes the arrow will be pointing in one direction while the "Distance to Destination" counts down as I get closer to GZ, in the direction away from where the arrow is suggesting. I've also noticed that when I go to the map screen the orientation from my position to GZ seems to stay more consistent. Is this a "walking too slow" problem, a loss of signal problem, a low battery problem (doesn't seem too low), a screen set-up problem, a too dumb operator or something else? Thanks.

I have been using and enjoying my 60cx for about a month now and have noticed a problem that is confusing me. I like to use the arrow screen with the "Distance to Destination" and "Accuracy" data fields when I'm getting close to a cache in the woods. Sometimes the arrow will disjoint, with the center section offset from the head and tail, and sometimes the arrow will be pointing in one direction while the "Distance to Destination" counts down as I get closer to GZ, in the direction away from where the arrow is suggesting. I've also noticed that when I go to the map screen the orientation from my position to GZ seems to stay more consistent. Is this a "walking too slow" problem, a loss of signal problem, a low battery problem (doesn't seem too low), a screen set-up problem, a too dumb operator or something else? Thanks.

When ever you change batteries or when your compass arrow is acting up recalibrate your compass.

1) Hit the page button on your GPS untill you get to the compass page.

2) Hit menu, select calibrate compass

Interesting question.....

It could be a few different things....but I'm not certain what.

It could be the compass turning on after a certain speed is reached in a certain time (see the compass setup screen). I set mine for 3mph and 3 minutes.

If the compass just turned on, it will look totally different than when you are travelling in a straight line.

It will all of a sudden realize the relative position of the gpsr. Spinning it around with you, and spinning it in your hand, will create confusing readings.

It could also be trying to get you to turn.

The turn by turn mode will break or split the arrow to notify you of upcoming turns.

Do you have the "follow roads" mode on?

Switch it to "offroad" when you get close to the cache site.

I doubt it has anything to do with the batteries.

You don't have a real compass, so, yes, walking too slow means the unit can't orient itself, and can't figure out which way to point the arrow. Also, it sounds like you may have it set to "course" instead of "bearing". That's causing the disjointed arrow.