Memory Map problem?

Birders

Just checking some caches to do tomorrow. We load caches for an area into MM and then double-click the icon, which brings up the page from GC. This evening something weird is happening. Look, here's part pf the page for GC11ER1 as shown after a double-click on MM:

<<Take a break! Have a drink? Something to eat? Find a cache?

You are looking for a micro hidden somewhere within the service area. The container has a log book and a pencil.

Be safe! Stay on paths or grassed areas wherever possible and be careful of traffic negotiating the roads/parking areas.

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

You are looking for a micro hidden somewhere within the service area. The container has a log book and a pencil.

Be safe! Stay on paths or grassed areas wherever possible and be careful of traffic negotiating the roads/parking areas.>>

Note that the main text is repeated under "additional hints". Now, if we view the same page via GSAK, here's the result:

Take a break! Have a drink? Something to eat? Find a cache?

Be safe! Stay on paths or grassed areas wherever possible and be careful of traffic negotiating the roads/parking areas.

Additional Hints ( Decrypt )

Onfr bs srapr cbfg

We have never expereinced this before and it was working OK earlier today. We have tried on a separate computer but exactly the same thing happens. We have not updated MM or GSAK; in fact we haven't touched anything.

Any clues anyone please??

Not sure we follow. Whichever cache we select, the Linked File is always a URL as shown n previous post. This then produces the GC cache page. That URL above is typical. If you click it you'll see the cache page with the coruption we have mentioned...

Didn't realise it happened with all caches.

It's the &decrypt=y that's causing the problem. If this worked before (I don't use it) then something must have changed on GC.com. It's nothing to do with MM.

I would take it out of your export for now.

Edited by SidAndBob

OK... thanks for that. What we do is to download PQs into GSAK and then export selected caches into MM. If we double-click in MM we get the problem, but if we double click a cache in GSAK everything works 100%. That suggests something wrong in the export from GSAK to MM, but we haven't changed anything - not on either PC.

Thanks again; we'll have a poke around.

PS. If it's the "decrypt" code which is the problem, we have proved that this is generated by GSAK. We have not updated or changed GSAK and we can't find the script which is inserting it. We'll kep trying - thanks again.

Edited by Birders

OK.. many thanks again. Unfortunately, we use a "Custom Export" to MM rather than the GSAK MM export because we like GC ICONs rather than blue dots. Also, we're not using the latest GSAK as we found that messed things up bad - we're still using 6.6.4.

For any cache, if we double click the entry in GSAK, the URL looks like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC13P6H

That brings up the correct page from GC with no corruption.

Now, if we download that cache from GSAK to MM and double click the ICON, here's what we get:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59b8f3ca-84ce-4766-b092-987d56f04393&decrypt=y&pf=n&log=y

And that brings up the corrupted page.

What we can't find out is a) where that long script is added and :laughing: why it should suddenly become a problem during a period when the two PCs were switched off. We used it OK in the morning but in the evening it was all screwed up!

Grateful for your help but don't wish to cause you any more trouble..

Many thanks..

OK.. many thanks again. Unfortunately, we use a "Custom Export" to MM rather than the GSAK MM export because we like GC ICONs rather than blue dots. Also, we're not using the latest GSAK as we found that messed things up bad - we're still using 6.6.4.

In my case the macro invokes custom icons, so I don't get the default blue dots either. :laughing:

As previously, this is a GC.com issue. The least painful solution might be to wait for Groundspeak to sort their problem out on the site, then it will all start magically working again. :laughing:

OK, thanks SidandBob. Spent a couple of hours clearing GSAK from one PC and installing the latest version. Unfortunately we couldn't find an easy way to show all the usual ICONs on MM or we may have stayed with it as the double-click there produces the correct page from GC!!!

My MemoryMap links fine. I think, as already has been suggested, is the fact that you are doing some sort of custom export. Yes, it used to work, but if GC.com have done a change then you need to accommodate that. But you don't know what change that is.

When I double click in MemoryMap it links through to a URL like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5e-de5f081dbff4

But it works.

I have the latest GSAK, and I'm using lordelph's icons. Works no problem for me. That would be my working solution. If I was in work, I'd then close the helpdesk call! :(