Will a US purchased Garmin GPS function correctly in the UK?

Hi there....

I'm going on holiday to the US soon, and wanted to buy a Garmin GPS (Legend HCX) whilst away. My main question is - "Will the unit fully function on my return to the UK?".

I appreciate that the basemaps will be different. (I've got the UK maps to load, though), but after seeing some ebay vendors (I've had a look around), many have scare stories saying that the unit won't function properly when I'm back in the UK.

Is this the case?

I also appreicate that there may be warranty issues, as obviously if it goes wrong I can hardly take it back to the shop, but would appreciate the wisdom of forum members on this one, especially if you've done the same thing as I'm considering.

Many thanks....

Mr D

Hi there....

I'm going on holiday to the US soon, and wanted to buy a Garmin GPS (Legend HCX) whilst away. My main question is - "Will the unit fully function on my return to the UK?".

I appreciate that the basemaps will be different. (I've got the UK maps to load, though), but after seeing some ebay vendors (I've had a look around), many have scare stories saying that the unit won't function properly when I'm back in the UK.

Is this the case?

I also appreicate that there may be warranty issues, as obviously if it goes wrong I can hardly take it back to the shop, but would appreciate the wisdom of forum members on this one, especially if you've done the same thing as I'm considering.

Many thanks....

Mr D

I actually posed that question to Garmin customer service not too long ago (I had a unit that a buyer in the UK was interested in), and got a great response from them via email. According to the Garmin representative that emailed me, the unit should function properly anywhere provided that it can receive a satellite signal. Of course, as you stated, you would have to load UK specific maps to use any mapping functions.

I actually posed that question to Garmin customer service not too long ago (I had a unit that a buyer in the UK was interested in), and got a great response from them via email. According to the Garmin representative that emailed me, the unit should function properly anywhere provided that it can receive a satellite signal. Of course, as you stated, you would have to load UK specific maps to use any mapping functions.

;)

Marvellous.

In which case, I shall be off to the shops when in the US - anyone recommend a particularly good chain of retail stores to buy from? I see that Staples and Best Buy sell GPS...

Thanks,

Mr D

In which case, I shall be off to the shops when in the US - anyone recommend a particularly good chain of retail stores to buy from?

If I were in your situation, I would get one from REI. You will have better luck if you have problems with the unit after the warranty is up. Check the out of warranty charges posted on Garmin's web site.

Buying in the USA is slightly cheaper but the Warranty issue is important but also is Custom Duty.

Will you be able to prove that it was bought in the UK, because if you cannot you may get 'caught'.

It would be better to buy it before you go and load your maps so you can use it on your holiday.

At the moment there are bargains on eBay for UK units that would only cost you £50 more than the USA.

I took the risk and bought in the USA but it is no longer worth it!

Edited by strumble

Buying in the USA is slightly cheaper but the Warranty issue is important but also is Custom Duty.

Will you be able to prove that it was bought in the UK, because if you cannot you may get 'caught'.

It would be better to buy it before you go and load your maps so you can use it on your holiday.

At the moment there are bargains on eBay for UK units that would only cost you £50 more than the USA.

I took the risk and bought in the USA but it is no longer worth it!

my 2 penneth

yes I would buy in US in fact I do even with out visiting I have relatives and friends in NY NJ and GA

they buy stuff for me and send it over even my Internet security was purchased in US (Norton half UK price)

Take advantage of the weak dollar lol

Yes they are all the same units and as you correctly say just the base maps are different

BUT look at a GOOD Garmin supplier in US and they will have units with Atlantic basemaps ( same as UK versions) for sale

as for the warranty you take the risk so far I have had several Garmin units and never had a problem

I personaly would risk it the firmware can be updated any where Use it while your there and if there is a problem change it before you come back

From my experiance and what I have read in forums If the unit works it will work for ever and most faults are there from day one. If it did die there is always ebay people will buy it for spares and nearly pay the US price

as for customs unless you intend to bring it home in the box I doubt whether any one will take any notice

I have travelled all over with my Garmin units and NEVER been questioned as to the origin and I think the allowance is a lot higher now any way

and I purchased my Colarado 300 in UK and now I have it I realize a 400 purchased in US would have been cheaper and a better option as it has more internal memory and the base map on the new units is USER changeable where on the older ones like the GPSmap 76CSx you had to live with what u got

You would very rarely ever rely on the base map if you had access to Mapsource maps any way

or like it says you could buy here and load stuff on before you went but again internet cafe usb lead in box can be done in minutes

I bought my Palm Lifedrive abroad and an internet cafe let me download and set up the updates and stuff I needed via usb