GPS for both geocaching and driving directions?

This is my first GPS system and I would like some recommendations on which ones to get. I've been doing a little research and think that a Garmin might be the one for me, but i can't figure out how to tell if one unit will do the 2 jobs I've mentioned. Any suggestions?? ooooh, and I definately want a color screen! Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Forums! B)

I have the Vista HCx and have both Topo maps and City Navigator maps installed on it. I purchased the Topo maps on eBay and got the auto-routing maps in a package deal with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette lighter adapter. The Vista HCx is around $220.00 or so.

Others might recommend the GPS Map 60Cx/CSx or the new Garmin Colorado. Those cost more, so what you want to look for will depend on your budget.

Check out Garmin's "Comparison Page" for the new 'H' units and see which ones fit your needs best.

This is my first GPS system and I would like some recommendations on which ones to get. I've been doing a little research and think that a Garmin might be the one for me, but i can't figure out how to tell if one unit will do the 2 jobs I've mentioned. Any suggestions?? ooooh, and I definately want a color screen! Thanks for your help!

I have used both the eTrex Legend Cx (the HCx is the new model) and the GPSMAP 60 Csx (current GPSr).

Both do a good job of geocaching, althought I think the 60 Csx is more accurate and picks up the satellites more quickly. The screen on the Legend was brighter, but I can add an external antenna to the 60 Csx.

Both will do auto navigation, but one big difference between these handhelds and the GPSr meant specifically for autos, is screen size. While the handhelds will get you to where you are going, you will have a harder time seeing the screen when driving (i recommend a dash or windshield mount). The handhelds also do not have speech capabilities, so you have to read the screen to see what the next turn is and how far away.

There is also a difference in prices so you budget is a factor. Go to garmin.com and use the comparison feature. Keep in mind that the prices on the garmin site are MRSP and you can shop around for better ones, but they will show the price differential between the units. You can also check ebay to see what a certain model is going for.

Also, don't forget that the mapping software will be an extra cost with the Garmin units.

Edited by tomgeiger

Among the current Garmin line, the Venture HC is the entry level GPS at geocaching and offering detailed map installation. However, it only holds 24mb and the unit does not auto-route. At $134 it's a good deal for beginners. This HC has a color screen and the high sensitive chipset - it's peformance is virtually identical to the 60CSx and Vista HCx.

The Legend HCx is the entry level model with auto-routing capabilities. At about $196, it's a good deal too. It supports an external media slot for a 2gb card, more than enough space to hold detailed auto-routing maps of the entire U.S. of A. The GPS Map60 is $5 less, but it has a black n white screen.

Among the current Garmin line, the Venture HC is the entry level GPS at geocaching and offering detailed map installation. However, it only holds 24mb and the unit does not auto-route. At $134 it's a good deal for beginners. This HC has a color screen and the high sensitive chipset - it's peformance is virtually identical to the 60CSx and Vista HCx.

The Legend HCx is the entry level model with auto-routing capabilities. At about $196, it's a good deal too. It supports an external media slot for a 2gb card, more than enough space to hold detailed auto-routing maps of the entire U.S. of A. The GPS Map60 is $5 less, but it has a black n white screen.

Thanks for that posting. It was exactly the information I was looking for. I already have a Nuvi 200 for street finding and wanted to dip my toes into geocaching a bit.

At $134 does that include the topo maps or do I have to buy them separate? Cables?

With the Delorme PN20 you receive the Topo software that also has the complete streets atlas software. Essentially you are getting 2 software programs for one. IT does do auto routing. The firmware has improved this capability greatly in the few months I have had it. Great unit, good geocaching capabilities, great customer service and currently running a spring sale for 299.95

Keep in mind, for portable use you want something that doesn't consume much battery power. This means black and white with fewer features is important. You will need good WAAS accuracy though. Auto power off and auto backlight turnoff are good features for a portable, but not good for the car. You need water resistance for portable, but not for the car. The car units might never need to connect to a computer but portable units might. Also, portable units track your history so you can find your way back out of the woods, but car units don't. So, you need a completely different set of features, you will want different GPS units.

By the time you buy a Colorado or a 60Csx with mapping software, you can easily buy **BOTH** a Garmin Nuvi with full maps and a Garmin Venture HC for a lower price.

Why not have the best of both worlds????? You'll have a full size auto unit that auto-routes and a handheld GPS with an ultra sensitive receiver.

Thanks for that posting. It was exactly the information I was looking for. I already have a Nuvi 200 for street finding and wanted to dip my toes into geocaching a bit.

At $134 does that include the topo maps or do I have to buy them separate? Cables?

You will have to buy the Topo maps separate. The GPS unit should come with the cable. Check Garmin's comparison page to see which of the new 'H' models connects to a computer with the USB cable.

You will have to buy the Topo maps separate. The GPS unit should come with the cable. Check Garmin's comparison page to see which of the new 'H' models connects to a computer with the USB cable.

How much do they cost and how much area does each one cover? For instance, would the central states all be on one?

Thanks...

There is only one GPSr that is fully functional for car navigation and geocaching and that is the Garmin Quest. Many trail units will autoroute, but they do not have voice prompted guidance in the car. There are many car units that are better than the Quest but they do not have the features necessary for geocaching and are otherwise unsuited to trail use. The purchase price, which is cheap, includes the current detailed road maps and data for the entire US and Canada. The Quest 2 comes with the maps preloaded, but it costs more and is slower with searches due to the mass of data to be checked.

The Quest is primarily designed for the car, but it does work great for caching, once you learn how to set it up for off-road use and how to enter a waypoint, neither of which are difficult.

I concur 100%. I have a Legend HCx and a Nuvi 200w. I absolutely LOVE both units, but I'd never think about trying to use the Nuvi to fiind a cache, and while I have in the past tried to use the HCx for navigation, the fact that it was less than perfect for that purpose is why I now own the Nuvi. But the Nuvi is great for getting me near the cache, and by using GSAK, I can load the cache details into it and use it for paperless caching. All of this for about half the price of a Colorado 400.

(that said... I still want the Colorado, though! :lol: )