Newbie!

HowardDouglas

After you get the coordinates in the GPS unit, either manually, or by using the "Send to GPS" button, or by using software such as EasyGPS or GSAK, use the "Go To" function to get the arrow on the "Compass Page." You can configure the "Data Fields" on that screen, and the Map Screen, to get the ones most important for caching. On the Compass page, on my Vista HCx, I have "Distance to Next" and the "Accuracy" as well as the name of the cache.

On the Map Screen, I include the arrow as one of the Data Fields. On either page, hit "Menu" to see the options.

Before you look for your first cache, carefully read the cache page, the Past Logs, and even the Hint. It is better to search for larger containers at first to get used to how the GPSr works under different circumstances. Don't expect the cache to be at '0', although that does happen. When you get about 30' away, look the area over and think "Where would I hide something as large as a "Lock 'n Lock" container or an ammo can?

Welcome to the addiction . . . er . . . activity. B)

Yes . . . but the beep comes at different distances depending on what, I have never quite figured out. B) So, if you are walking on a trail, talking to your companion, having a good time, and suddenly find yourself 300' too far from the cache, that means the GPS would have beeped at 32' but the cache was 35' off the trail . . . B)

Edit for typo . . .

Edited by Miragee

When we're getting close to a cache, we find that it's best to ignore the arrow and focus on whether you are getting closer or not. Tree cover (or heavy snow) can throw the arrow around pretty good sometimes... When walking into a wooded area (for a few hundred feet or less) get a good idea of what direction you should be moving BEFORE you get under the leaves.

Good luck!

The most important thing is to read the cache page before going out. If it's a mystery cache, there will likely be a puzzle involved or some other information you will need to obtain. If it is an offset cache (multi) then the container that you are looking for will contain coordinates to the final (or there may be more than two steps even). Follow the arrow until you are close, and once you are within 10 or 20 feet, start looking around with this thought in mind: If I were going to conceal a box here, where would I put it? Then look there. Some will be obvious, others will have you using some 4 letter words trying to find them. Good luck..