Arizona Topo Map (24k Equivalent) Released

-Oz-

They look great!!!

Comparison with current Garmin Topo's:

1207420177.jpg

I assume these are Colorado screenshots. Theirs no scale, is that typical?

I believe Indyjpr did a 24K map whereby if Topo 2008 is on below the 24K map, then the DEM shading will show through. Have you tried this?

Thanks

Those screenshots are in mapsouce. I don't have a Colorado so I'm not sure how it'll work on there but I assume it will work exactly like IndyJpr since I believe we followed the same process. That comparison is mainly to show the significant number of contour lines in the Arizona map compared to the others.

Hey everyone,

I'm not quite as fast as indyjpr but I have finally released my first total state coverage topographic map. My map for Arizona is complete and available from my new website here.

Topo map information:

• 40 ft Contours
  • High resolution water data
  • Road Data
  • Railroads
  • Land Use Data (except indian reservations)
  • State and County boundaries
  • Trails - limited trail coverage including: Grand Canyon, Sunrise Ski Park, Granite Mountain Recreation Area trails, and a few others
  • Segment sizes at 100k grid so its great for older GPSr's

Here are a few screenshots as well as comparison with Garmin's two Topo maps:

Garmin 60csx:

1207419797.jpg

1207419870.jpg

1207420177.jpg

If you have any questions or issues let me know. I hope to release an update in a few weeks.

Once again: Arizona Topo Map

Thanks to IndyJpr for all his help and Carl for providing the trails for the Grand Canyon

They really look great. I hate to be the first with some down side, but...

1. In Mapsource when you hover over a contour line the elevation readout is way off. My house reads 4200 feet when I live at 1350 feet. I checked a couple of other spots around Lake Pleasant and they're off as well.

2. Loop 101 through Phoenix starts off as a red interstate but changes to a black secondary road. Likewise some secondary roads change into dirt roads which they shouldn't (59th ave in Glendale as it goes up and over a pass in Thunderbird Park).

Oh well, still a great and much appreciated start!!!

thanks so much for putting in the work on this.

I will check on the contours tomorrow for sure (perhaps a ft to m thing). That would be very bad.

The roads are going to be hard unless the newly released census data has updates. I will check that sometime this week as well.

Hey everyone,

I'm not quite as fast as indyjpr but I have finally released my first total state coverage topographic map. My map for Arizona is complete and available from my new website here.

Topo map information:

• 40 ft Contours
  • High resolution water data
  • Road Data
  • Railroads
  • Land Use Data (except indian reservations)
  • State and County boundaries
  • Trails - limited trail coverage including: Grand Canyon, Sunrise Ski Park, Granite Mountain Recreation Area trails, and a few others
  • Segment sizes at 100k grid so its great for older GPSr's

Here are a few screenshots as well as comparison with Garmin's two Topo maps:

Garmin 60csx:

1207419797.jpg

1207419870.jpg

1207420177.jpg

If you have any questions or issues let me know. I hope to release an update in a few weeks.

Once again: Arizona Topo Map

Thanks to IndyJpr for all his help and Carl for providing the trails for the Grand Canyon

They really look great. I hate to be the first with some down side, but...

1. In Mapsource when you hover over a contour line the elevation readout is way off. My house reads 4200 feet when I live at 1350 feet. I checked a couple of other spots around Lake Pleasant and they're off as well.

2. Loop 101 through Phoenix starts off as a red interstate but changes to a black secondary road. Likewise some secondary roads change into dirt roads which they shouldn't (59th ave in Glendale as it goes up and over a pass in Thunderbird Park).

Oh well, still a great and much appreciated start!!!

thanks so much for putting in the work on this.

Actually, now that I looked at your screen shots again, your map is reading in the 17,000 foot range while the Garmin map shows correctly around 5800 feet.

Yes, I see that too. I think I'm gonna have to pull the download.

EDIT: I did some math, it is a meters to feet issue. Hopefully this means I can just run updates on the shapefiles and not have to reprocess the entire dataset.

Edited by -Oz-

Looks really nice.

Is anyone else's version of Mapsource interpreting the elevations as if they were in meters, though, when they should really be feet? I'm seeing things like "Mount Fagan, 6174 ft, 20256 ft," where the (correct, more or less) "6174 ft" looks to be part of the description string. If I switch Mapsource to displaying elevations in meters, then it'll say "Mount Fagan, 6174 ft, 6174m."

I should mention that I am running Mapsource with Wine under Linux, so this could be related to that, although I am not seeing the problem with any of my other maps (Garmin Topo 2008 and IndyJpr's among them).

Edit: D'oh, should've refreshed the topic before I hit reply. Looks like you guys are on it. Really nice-looking stuff, again.

Edited by jimmarshall

It'll be much nicer when this is fixed.

So the shapefiles are correct (in feet) but when it was exported to .mp files it assumed the elevations were in meters and converted to feet. So once I figure that out it'll be another day or two to process everything and release.

Sorry (I am so bummed I didn't notice that, jeez it's in the screenshots :P)

EDIT: Even better, the .mp files still have it in feet, so its cgpsmapper that isn't catching that.

EDIT #2: Well, this is gonna be fun; I'm not sure where it decided to convert it over...

Edited by -Oz-