"send to GPS" button

luke4it

The Send to GPS feature (which only works with Garmin units) is the LOC file information which includes on the Waypoint ID# and the coordinates.

The GPX data is only available to Premium Members. It contains virtually all the information on the cache page other than the pictures and additional waypoints.

Once you download the file (LOC or GPX), typically you will need to use some software to send the information to your GPS unit. There is a list of software on the FAQs page on the geocaching.com website.

What GPS unit are you using?

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

The Send to GPS feature (which only works with Garmin units) is the LOC file information which includes on the Waypoint ID# and the coordinates.

The GPX data is only available to Premium Members. It contains virtually all the information on the cache page other than the pictures and additional waypoints.

Once you download the file (LOC or GPX), typically you will need to use some software to send the information to your GPS unit. There is a list of software on the FAQs page on the geocaching.com website.

What GPS unit are you using?

New GPS, Garmin 300, but considered the Triton 2000 (would love the camera on it). But I thought it would be easier if I only wanted maybe 3 caches in an evening to just press that button feature on the website (hooked up with usb) and get all the information. So, you are saying, even if I become a premium member, then I still only get the LOC file with the Send to GPS feature?

I've never used the "Send to GPS" button because it only takes a few seconds longer to download the .gpx file, the kind you get with your Premium Membership, open it in GSAK, and use GSAK's "Send to GPS Now" option in the right-click menu.

When I do that, the Waypoint goes into my GSPr with the "smart name" code that gives me lots of information about the cache.

With the Colorado, since it works differently, you might have to use the "Export" .gpx option from GSAK and then copy that file from your PC to the correct folder on the GPSr where it shows up as a "drive letter."

When I click on "send to GPS" button, what is sent to the GPS unit, a LOC file or a GPX file?

Otherwise is I don't use that button, do I need to download either the LOC or GPX file and put them into some program to load onto the GPS?

The GPS number and the coordinates. It's very handy for FTFers or people just doing a few caches.

If you are a premium member you get the GPX file. With the new Garmin Colorado it gives the description, last 5 logs etc.

Please clarify for me: If I am a premium member, using the Colorada 300, using the "Send to GPS" button on the website, I will get a GPX file? Yes, or no?

I do not want to use an additional program, but I do want the additional information (last finds, hints).

Thanks.

If you are a premium member you get the GPX file. With the new Garmin Colorado it gives the description, last 5 logs etc.

Please clarify for me: If I am a premium member, using the Colorada 300, using the "Send to GPS" button on the website, I will get a GPX file? Yes, or no?

I do not want to use an additional program, but I do want the additional information (last finds, hints).

Thanks.

Yes you get the GPX file

Are you sure, webscouter?

I thought that we've been told that the Send to GPS button sends ONLY the Cache Waypoint Name and the Coordinates. And that it doesn't matter what GPS unit you have.

That's what I thought too but I don't have a Colorado to check it out. Edited by TrailGators

I thought that we've been told that the Send to GPS button sends ONLY the Cache Waypoint Name and the Coordinates. And that it doesn't matter what GPS unit you have.

Pretty sure, here is what I see when I use Send to GPS with your cache.

46.gif

56.gif

64.gif

72.gif

Very cool! Send to GPS works best with a Colorado! <_<

Pretty sure, here is what I see when I use Send to GPS with your cache.

46.gif

56.gif

64.gif

72.gif

Very cool! Send to GPS works best with a Colorado! <_<

If that is what I will see with the Colorado 300, as a Premium Member, I will be very impressed.

Thank you all so much!