Mac Compatability help

Hello. I am going to be buying a macbook pro very soon but part of the deal with getting funds from the parents is that my dad takes my pc and I get the mac.

Am I not able to use mapsource on a mac?? If so, how do I do any mapping, track, route, and waypoint management??

Am I able to use GSAK or cachemate with a mac??

If it is not possible to do these things how would I even go about changing my topo and city nav maps on my gps unit??

Lastly, if the only real option is to use bootcamp...i would have to buy a version of windows correct?? And isn't that like $200???

Thanks

Any other info would help too

As Robert said, there are a number of software options--see the FAQ at the top of the forum.

In order to use GSAK, you would need to get an Intel Mac and run Windows. See the FAQ for waypoint, route and track management software that will run natively in Mac.

If you already have maps, Garmin has released software that will allow you (on a PC) to convert the maps to a format that is Mac-compatible. They have a Map Install program (free download) that will load them to your GPS from a Mac.

You might be able to run parallels on your mac to run the PC only software.

http://www.parallels.com/

It's pretty useless now, with Bobcat, Map Install, MapManager, MapConvert and with all new maps coming natively to Mac OS (including CN2008).

Check here !

I've yet to get it to work. Garmin are utterly useless, if you follow the links and the links in the pdf it's very difficult to get the full picture, there are various map managers all with current links, there is also a map managager that comes with mapinstall in an installation package, (as opposed to the dmg drag and drop install method) but it appears to be 0 bytes!

manager437.jpg