WTB First GPS

As a recent college graduate I do not have a whole lot of money but I am looking to buy a nice starter model for geocaching. I am just starting caching and have done a lot of research on the eTrex and such. I am looking for something inexpensive (under $100) that will give me hours of enjoyment (I've seen the 100+ caches just in my town alone). Please PM or e-mail me (bjstover@millikin.edu) with any information.

Also, if anyone has any helpful words to a new cacher, you can also message me.

Thanks

Brandon

I'd highly suggest that you consider getting a unit with a PC interface. There are some on the market without it (Magellan Explorist 100 and 300 to name a couple) with no interface. That means that you'll be hand entering waypoints...that will get old really quick.

Id say to purchase for first time a Garmin Etrex Legend.

The monochrome eTrex Legend has old technology, although if you get one of those cheaply enough, it will get you started. It connects to a computer with the Serial Port . . .

Check Garmin's "Comparison Page" to get information about their newer 'H' models. Those have the High Sensitivity receiver. Some of those newer GPS units are less than $100, but they connect to a computer with the Serial Port, which is fine, if your computer has a Serial Port. I really recommend getting a GPS unit that connects with USB. Check eBay for the discontinued Legend C. It doesn't have the High Sensitivity Receiver, but you might get one of those for under $100 . . .