Tillman Ravine - What Happened?

Team Rampant Lion

Spring has arrived and the roads up to Sunrise Mountain (Stokes State Forest) and Tillman Ravine are now open. I was driving back into Tillman Ravine today and was shocked at the numbers of trees down. I know the Hemlock Wooly hit Sparta Glen and caused the same effect but I guess I had always envisioned that this happened over years not all of a sudden. I had never seen such a change from one year to the next. Is this what it was (Hemlock Wooly) or something else?

Spring has arrived and the roads up to Sunrise Mountain (Stokes State Forest) and Tillman Ravine are now open. I was driving back into Tillman Ravine today and was shocked at the numbers of trees down. I know the Hemlock Wooly hit Sparta Glen and caused the same effect but I guess I had always envisioned that this happened over years not all of a sudden. I had never seen such a change from one year to the next. Is this what it was (Hemlock Wooly) or something else?

Perhaps it was weather related. Are all the trees pointing in the same direction? all down hill? to the east? in different direction (rotating?) do you have pictures?

There is no shortage of stressed forest throughout NJ, Campgaw in Bergen County looks to be over populated with deer, that eat the entire understory in some locatons. Wyanokie High Point has a load of dead wood on the east side ??? I was in West Milford couple of weeks back and there seemed to be a lot of dead fall. It may be my imagination, but that is the way I see it.

Perhaps it was weather related. Are all the trees pointing in the same direction? all down hill? to the east? in different direction (rotating?) do you have pictures?

I'm guessing that. For the WA to take out hemlocks, it takes a few seasons.

I'm guessing that. For the WA to take out hemlocks, it takes a few seasons.

From what I can tell, it took about three years for the woolly adelgid to kill the hemlocks in the grove on TPN trail. This year the dead branches are starting to fall.

If the hemlocks are still green, it's not HWA. More likely weather related.

Unfortunately, I did had a camera but the memory card was full. We have two French foreign exchange students staying with us and I had taken a lot of pictures of them up at Sunrise Mountain.

No, I do not believe the trees were not all facing the same way or to the east. They had clearly had to move a lot from the road. The area most effected was particularly the last half mile before where Stuble (?) Road comes upon the cemetery. If you turn left at this spot, you head onto a gravel road toward the high waterfall.

We were running out of time or we would have stopped to see the trail situation by TreeQuest's caches. I can't imagine it is great.

No, I do not believe the trees were not all facing the same way or to the east.

Did the down trees still have needles? If so I'm betting it was weather related

I couldn't say as I was driving by at a good pace rushing to get to the falls before running out of time for another commitment.

The cache closest to the area in question is this one.

Edited by Team Rampant Lion