.gpx files

novw.nl

Hello !

I was wondering what excactly is included in a .gpx file as opposed to a .loc file ? Could somebody post the data for ONE cache so I can have a look ? That way I canb check if my GPS will "eat" gpx files, and what info is in the file excactly.

thank you !

The .gpx files contain a lot more data than the .loc files. They have the Cache Description, the Hint, Past Logs (5 or 20 depending on whether you get the .gpx files in PQs or directly from the cache page), and more.

Becoming a Premium Member for only $3.00 a month to get the .gpx data for your GPSr and a PDA is actually priceless. :unsure:

To get the .gpx files onto your GPS unit you need software such as GSAK, EasyGPS, or MacCaching. I use GSAK.

thx. I will try !

I am using a HTC-kaiser. And as I found out on another forum:

AKA HTC P4550 / HTC TyTN II / Orange & HTC TyTN II / Vodafone VPA Compact V / Vodafone v1615 / SFR v1615 / Swisscom XPA v1615 / T-Mobile MDA Vario III / AT&T Tilt / O2 Xda Stellar

:unsure:

duh. gps-tuner does not like gpx files. It shows the same info as .loc.

I installed cache-mate for a try, and the .gpx pointed out earlier is "not valid":

xml-parse error at line 42: not well formed.

according to me, line 42 is:

<Groundspeak:terrain>1</Groundspeak:terrain>

euhm.

For Cachemate, you have to convert the .gpx files to .pdb files, if your device is Palm-based. That could be the problem with GPSTuner.

GSAK can convert and Export in many different formats.

So can GPSBabel, which works "under the hood" of GSAK.

Edit for typo . . .

Edited by Miragee

Unregistered CacheMate will allow 10 .gpx files to load on a Palm for demo purposes. I posted quite some time back asking Groundspeak to make a 10 cache demo PQ file available to Regular Members. Not actual data, just simulated data. While considering the merits of Premium Membership, newbies could use it to test any Hardware or Software for PQ compatibility. TPTB didn't seem to be receptive, because I recall there wasn't even a comment on it. Since you can get a real one month trial for only $3, I guess they just don't see the need for it.

Sending anyone the .gpx data for even one cache would violate the TOU of the PQ policy. Sorry.

using W-mobile 6, so conversion is not needed. I am trying to figure out what the added bonus is from buying software and registering a premium.

Currently, I manually have to load all .loc files into mapcalibrator (comes with gps-tuner) to download the map(s) I can use when searching. While putting the .loc file in thie mapping programm, I manually add tips, tricks and hints into the .loc file. Than mapcalibrator converts it to a .loc file with all .locs in there that can be read by gpstuner. Gpstuner does not hold functionallity for hints, tips and so on. Example:

<wpt lat="52.365783" lon="5.23185">
<ele>0</ele>
<time>2008-03-10T13:20:48Z</time>
<name><![CDATA[Humphrey Bogart]]></name>
<desc><![CDATA[GCT0JG-Humphrey Bogart by JeRiEs team-----this might be a tip.]]></desc>
<link href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCT0JG">
 <text><![CDATA[http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCT0JG]]></text>
</link>
<type><![CDATA[Geocache (opened)]]></type>
<extensions>
  <gpxx:WaypointExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.gpstuner.com/gpx" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.gpstuner.com/gpx http://www.gpstuner.com/gpx/gpstuner_v1.xsd">
 <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>
 <gpxx:Picture><![CDATA[]]></gpxx:Picture>
 <gpxx:Media><![CDATA[]]></gpxx:Media>
  </gpxx:WaypointExtension>
</extensions>
</wpt>

When yhou look at the <desc> line, you will note ----- and some extra text I added. I do not mind doing some extra work, but , heck, I am lazy and I 'dd rather download all in one ! Now the question I am trying to answer is as follows:

is my PDA capable of reading the (premium) .gpx files ? I think so, but there will be a limit to the number I think). By trial and error I am trying to figure out what to use in what programm and when.

I am leaning towards the construction I am using now. Without the cachemate programm. Paper will probarbly do that trick.

But, like I said, trial and error.

--

May I second the 10 cache demo .gpx proposal ? I think more people will want t o try befory they buy.

--

BTW, (wrong forum ?!), when I register a monthly membership, who do I talk to when I want to cancel, since it is auto-repetitive ?

If you pay with PayPal for your one-month Premium Membership, you just "Cancel the Subscription" in your PayPal account.

I cannot imagine why you wouldn't want to spend the $30.00 to get a year's membership. I can load almost 1000 caches, as Waypoints, into my GPSr in a few seconds. A few seconds more and I can have those same 1000 caches in my Palm m515 and I am out the door ready to go caching . . . :unsure:

To the OP, now I'm confused. First you asked if you GPS unit would be compatible with GPX files. Now you are saying that you want to know about your PDA. It's okay to ask both things, but we just want to be sure what you are asking so that we can answer the right thing.

If you have a Pocket PC or a WM Smartphone, then Cachemate will run on it and Cachemate will read GPX files directly.

Still not sure what GPS unit you are using, but maybe I missed it.

As shown in Markwell's post that I linked ...

The LOC files only contain the Waypoint ID and the cache coordinates.

The GPX files have all the information from the cache page.

Cachemate will show all the information except for the maps and images. The only limit is the space you have available on the unit.

I copied this in notepad, and tried to enter it in different programms. All errored.

I think the .gpx filetype can only show its power when multiple caches are available for testing. With multiple comments, and hints and the whole "chebang". Only than can the "newbie" see whats going on. And why he/she should pay up.

I copied this in notepad, and tried to enter it in different programms. All errored.

I think the .gpx filetype can only show its power when multiple caches are available for testing. With multiple comments, and hints and the whole "chebang". Only than can the "newbie" see whats going on. And why he/she should pay up.

Something not yet mentioned but probably worth knowing is that GPX (GPS Exchange Format) is a simple XML format for exchange waypoint, route, and track information for GPS units and is not specific for geocaching. Groundspeak created extensions to the format. If you look at the "demo" gpx file you got you'll see the Groundspeak tags that have been added. Look for anything that is wrapped with a tag which begins with "Groundspeak:" . Those are the tags that contain information such as comments, hints, travel bugs, etc.

You could for example, create a waypoint in Google earth as a .kml file, then convert it to a .gpx file using something like gpsbabel and it would be a valid GPX file but would not contain any of the Groundspeak extensions.