Replacing an archived cache

Ringo67

There is a historic area the next town over where I found one of my first caches. The cache went missing and has since been archived. I want to give other cachers a chance to experience this neat area, so I am planning to place my first cache there.

On Saturday, I scoured the rocky terrain to try to find a good hiding place. I found the best spot for the final is where the old cache used to be. I have no idea what happened to the old cache, but I fear it may have been muggled.

I'd like to use the old spot, but am I taking too much of a risk putting it there? There are some other locations, but some will make it quite dangerous when there is rain or snow on the ground. There are also some rotted trees I could use, but hiding anything there would require some pvc contraption and a lot of camouflage work.

So, I was thinking of using the old final location as part of a two-stage cache. And if it is stolen or otherwise muggled, moving to the next best hiding location. I would keep doing that until the cache remains in place.

I believe if the cache is properly covered, it will not be found. But I wanted to get the opinion of some experienced cache hiders. Am I pushing my luck by using the old location?

Thanks in advance,

Ringo67

Hi Jabs from down under here. look at the archived page and read all the parst logs to see if there muggle problems before.

Also look at how long ago was the cache muggled? How busy is the area and are most the poeple local or passing? If local that could become the problem.

A trick we try around here sometimes is we hide the container with a small amount of money in it and wait several weeks (this works from small micros up to Ammo) and if after a period of time it stays in place you know that a real cache has a good chance of survival.

Any why good luck.

So, I was thinking of using the old final location as part of a two-stage cache. And if it is stolen or otherwise muggled, moving to the next best hiding location. I would keep doing that until the cache remains in place.

It all sounds good until you get to the part in bold. We would prefer that you not move the cache unless you talk to the reviewer. If we don't know where you have moved the final, we might list another cache right on top of it. Though I cannot show you the archived cache, here is a log where someone found two caches right next to each other very recently. People do move caches, but it is best to check with the reviewer to make sure you don't encroach on someone else's cache and so reviewers know where it is so they don't accidentally list a cache next to yours.

It all sounds good until you get to the part in bold. We would prefer that you not move the cache unless you talk to the reviewer. If we don't know where you have moved the final, we might list another cache right on top of it. Though I cannot show you the archived cache, here is a log where someone found two caches right next to each other very recently. People do move caches, but it is best to check with the reviewer to make sure you don't encroach on someone else's cache and so reviewers know where it is so they don't accidentally list a cache next to yours.

I have contacted the local reviewer asking if I can place a cache there and I was given the go-ahead. I should point out that I don't plan on moving the cache unless I have to. The plan is to put the cache where the old one was and publish it. If it goes missing AFTER being published, I will adjust the coordinates and move the final with the reviewer's OK, of course. Obviously, I don't want to have to do that, but I really think this area deserves to have a cache again.

Edited by Ringo67

Hi Jabs from down under here. look at the archived page and read all the parst logs to see if there muggle problems before.

Also look at how long ago was the cache muggled? How busy is the area and are most the poeple local or passing? If local that could become the problem.

A trick we try around here sometimes is we hide the container with a small amount of money in it and wait several weeks (this works from small micros up to Ammo) and if after a period of time it stays in place you know that a real cache has a good chance of survival.

Any why good luck.

Hi Jabs,

I pored over the logs to see if I could find what happened, but the cache seemed to just disappear. And there is no sign of the cache scattered around the site (as there often is when it is muggled). The good thing is the final location is on the opposite side of the HUGE rock from where the kids hang out. That's probably why the original hider picked that spot in the first place.

I like the idea of a decoy cache, though. I could see if it survives before listing the official one. Hmm ... interesting.

Thanks,

- Ringo67

One thing I have done is put a micro in the place of a regular cache in one case. I liked the location and felt they could steal my film container if they wanted. It is cheap to replace and folks still end up in the location. Eventually you might be able to put a regular container back out.

One thing I have done is put a micro in the place of a regular cache in one case. I liked the location and felt they could steal my film container if they wanted. It is cheap to replace and folks still end up in the location. Eventually you might be able to put a regular container back out.

That's a interesting idea. I didn't think of that. It would also be a heck of a lot easier to hide at the final location. The old cache was a .50 cal ammo can, and I was looking at a medium-sized lock-and-lock container (I forget the actual size).

I've done that too. I had one cache muggled 3 times and then I made it a micro and hid it in a slightly different spot and I haven't had another issue. People gripe about micros but sometimes they do make more sense.

Any why good luck.

The only problem with that logic is most caches get muggled because the muggle sees someone retrieving the cache. If you just hide a container and no one is trying to find it, it is very unlikely that someone would steal it.

Edited by CSpenceFLY

..... Am I pushing my luck by using the old location?

Thanks in advance,

Ringo67

Maybe. Read the old logs, check how much time has passed and then you will have to gage the risk. One thing I like about new caches in old spots is to see the spin. Sometimes like you, the best spot is the same. Sometimes the new spot is different and just as viable..

I pored over the logs to see if I could find what happened, but the cache seemed to just disappear. And there is no sign of the cache scattered around the site (as there often is when it is muggled).
Not necessarily. I'm actually thinking more muggled caches simply disappear. The maggots simply don't want to get caught near the cache site when they examining the cache--something we as cachers should be thinking, too.

The good thing is the final location is on the opposite side of the HUGE rock from where the kids hang out. That's probably why the original hider picked that spot in the first place.

<Mythbuster:Adam's voice>

Well, there's your problem.

</Mythbuster:Adam's voice>

Any place where it's cool for kids to hang out and not adults is a place caches will disappear. We've got caches in busy parks with mostly adult visitors and the cache survive years. Locals hide caches in green spaces where it's obvious children play and repeated attempts at placements fail within months.

Kids are natural explorers and are very curious. Heck, I sometimes feel like a kid while geocaching. The issue is the stage of moral development. There's nothing really wrong with that as it's the reason kids still need parental guidance. It's something to take into consideration.

Another possibility you might think of is, considering it's already a multi, is adding another stage placing the final at another, more remote, interesting location no where near a kids' hangout.

<Mythbuster:Adam's voice>

Well, there's your problem.

</Mythbuster:Adam's voice>

Any place where it's cool for kids to hang out and not adults is a place caches will disappear. We've got caches in busy parks with mostly adult visitors and the cache survive years. Locals hide caches in green spaces where it's obvious children play and repeated attempts at placements fail within months.

Kids are natural explorers and are very curious. Heck, I sometimes feel like a kid while geocaching. The issue is the stage of moral development. There's nothing really wrong with that as it's the reason kids still need parental guidance. It's something to take into consideration.

Another possibility you might think of is, considering it's already a multi, is adding another stage placing the final at another, more remote, interesting location no where near a kids' hangout.

Good quote. I LOVE Mythbusters. It's an awesome show. :huh:

Back on subject, though, the site is pretty remote from where the kids hang out. I walked all the way around the rock and ended up on my rear end more than once. As much as I may feel like a kid while caching, I guess I'm not. :)

After going back though the logs, it looks like the cache was at the same location for about four and a half years (since January 2003). I would guess that's a pretty good lifetime for a cache.

The original cache was a traditional, single-stage hide. I was thinking of adding an intermediate stage because there is an obvious place for one as you enter from the parking area. For the final, I'm thinking of using using a smaller lock-and-lock container. The original was a .50 cal ammo can. Those things can be pretty tough to hide well.

- Ringo