Where's my GPS data cable?!?!?! :O/

Was wondering if anyone has found themselves in this situation. You go away on a little trip and plan on doing some caching while there. You load up the laptop and the GPSr and when you arrive, you search, and search, and search, and can't find your GPSr communication cable! :D

Well, happened to me today. And called all around to Circuit City, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sport's Authority, West Marine, everywhere... and no cables in the store. "You can order them online" was the response.... gee, thanks! BUT Best Buy to the rescue.

Ran to a local Best Buy and found that a Motorola Mini USB to USB Data Cable (around $19) works GREAT for my GPS MAP60C. Not sure what cables othere GPS's use but I have not seen this noted anywhere that a standard off the shelf cable can do the trick. Sure as heck didn't want to start manually entering all the coords!! How barbaric!!! hehehehe

Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone else got into this spot.

:)

Edited by infiniteMPG

Ran to a local Best Buy and found that a Motorola Mini USB to USB Data Cable (around $19) works GREAT for my GPS MAP60C. Not sure what cables othere GPS's use but I have not seen this noted anywhere that a standard off the shelf cable can do the trick. Sure as heck didn't want to start manually entering all the coords!! How barbaric!!! hehehehe

Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone else got into this spot.

:)

eTrex legend HCx also uses mini USB to USB Data. Got a spare for 6 bucks.

eTrex legend HCx also uses mini USB to USB Data. Got a spare for 6 bucks.
I am sure I could do better then the $19 on Ebay or online somewhere, but in a crunch the $19 was worth the saving of manually typing in tons of geocache coords.

Hmmm, kind of wonder why all these GPS manufacturers don't state that the comm cable is simply just a mini-USB to USB cable rather then making it sound like some proprietary thing.... Money talk$???

I've bought several electronics devices lately and have been pleasantly surprised that all of them are usb driven and have the same tophat looking end connection as my GPSs. External hard drive, card reader, my Garmin Zumo, Garmin GPSMAP76C, and Colorado 400t all use the same usb cable...so I have 5 data cables. One I have at work, one at home, one in my laptop bag and spares. Wow!

Ditto what others said $19 for a simple usb cable is nuts.
Agree but in a pinch it's better then driving a couple hours to get a cheaper one or back home to get the one we forgot. And that's the same that Garmin charges. Hoping to not find myself back in that pinch again. After years and years it was the first time, so now with multiple cables it shouldn't be an issue ::crossing fingers::

Up until this happened I didn't realize (and from the sound of the posts I don't think many others did either) that the data cable for the GPSr was a 'standard cable'.