Best Garmin for Paperless Caching

burgessfour

Hi All!

We would like to stick with Garmin but we're not sure what the best model is for paperless caching. Could someone please help advise us which unit would do the trick? The Colorado line seems to be what most are using, but Garmin isn't recommending that under their GeoCaching section.

Thanks!

Colorado is the ONLY device for true paperless caching. I just got the 400t (still waiting for it to be delivered).

From what I've read, the last update fixed 99% of the issues people had with it for geocaching.

Not sure where you are seeing that Garmin doesn't recommend it, the only thing I see on their site is:

===========================================

Compatible Devices

Most portable or handheld Garmin GPS devices, except for PDA’s.

EDIT

Nevermind, I see where you are referring to now... looks like that page is outdated as the GPSmap 60CSx isn't even on there.

Edited by XopherN71

If you don't have that much money to spend, the Legend HCx, (or Vista HCx) coupled with using the POI Loader to put more information in the description of the caches, as POIs, works pretty well. You can get the name of the cache, and most of the Hint, depending on the "Smart Name" codes you use in the .gpx Export. You still need something else to record your "Field Notes" however . . .

Colorado is the ONLY device for true paperless caching. I just got the 400t (still waiting for it to be delivered).

From what I've read, the last update fixed 99% of the issues people had with it for geocaching.

Not sure where you are seeing that Garmin doesn't recommend it, the only thing I see on their site is:

Compatible Devices

Most portable or handheld Garmin GPS devices, except for PDA’s.

EDIT

Nevermind, I see where you are referring to now... looks like that page is outdated as the GPSmap 60CSx isn't even on there.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I would think that Garmin should list it under their GeoCashing Product Guide, but I guess that's what forums like this are for.

Just get a cheap, old Palm from eBay and use it in conjunction with whatever GPS you decide to get. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new Colorado. Of course, if you have the money and don't mind spending it, the Colorado lets you do it all on a single device which is pretty cool.