Google Earth

#1Ranger

Using Google Earth, you can view the cache locations and how they relate to access roads and trails. In some areas, Google Earth might be all a person needs to actually find a cache, if it shows up near the only tree in a small park. :huh: To see the cache locations accurately, I Export a .gpx file of the selected caches from GSAK and open it in GE.

Even with my slow dialup connection, I use it occasionally, and even picked out a cache hiding spot to ask my Reviewer about, to make sure no Puzzle cache or Multicache waypoints were in the area prior to making the long drive up there to place a cache.

Using Google Earth, you can view the cache locations and how they relate to access roads and trails. In some areas, Google Earth might be all a person needs to actually find a cache, if it shows up near the only tree in a small park. :huh: To see the cache locations accurately, I Export a .gpx file of the selected caches from GSAK and open it in GE.

Even with my slow dialup connection, I use it occasionally, and even picked out a cache hiding spot to ask my Reviewer about, to make sure no Puzzle cache or Multicache waypoints were in the area prior to making the long drive up there to place a cache.

Thanks...that helps a lot. I have now downloaded Google Earth. What a very interesting program.

If you are a premium member, you can use the "Caches along a Route" feature for your travels.

Yes I am a Premium member as of one week ago. I haven't figured out how to use "Caches along a Route" yet. I take it Google Earth is needed for this feature

If you are a premium member, you can use the "Caches along a Route" feature for your travels.

Yes I am a Premium member as of one week ago. I haven't figured out how to use "Caches along a Route" yet. I take it Google Earth is needed for this feature

Yes, text from geocaching.com appears below:

Using Google Earth to create a route:

The Google Earth desktop application makes it easy to export and save a .KML file of your route. Below you'll find some steps to creating your own.

Download , install, and run Google Earth

Click on the Directions tab in the upper left-hand corner of the page

Enter your start and end locations and click the button to generate your directions

Scroll to the top of the directions list until you see the start/end location

Right click and choose "Save As..."

Save to your harddrive as type *.kml (not *.kmz, which is the default). Be sure to give the file a descriptive name like "Seattle To Portland", so you can easily find it later

That's it! Now upload your route to Geocaching.com:

Revisit this page and choose the tab "Upload GPX / KML"

Click Browse and find the file you saved from Google Earth, then click Upload

Click Preview to double-check your saved route in the map to the right

If you are satisfied with the results, check the box next to the name of your route and click the "Save Selected Routes" button.

Here you can click on the Route Name to add more information and keywords, make it publicly available (recommended), and create a Pocket Query from your route

I haven't figured out how to use "Caches along a Route" yet. I take it Google Earth is needed for this feature

You can also use Google Maps to generate the route (using the GMapToGPX plugin.) I prefer it because you can have multiple points on the route...and I can generate the URL to Google Maps from GSAK...so I can, for instance, create a route that follows the driving directions to a set of a caches...and use caches along a route to identify other caches I will pass by.

I have seen a few postings with Google Earth mentioned. What advantages are there in downloading this programme? Would some kind person please explain.

Thanks...#1Ranger

Another feature is the ability to look at hills or mountains from a side view to check out the terrain from that angle.

GE is a very useful tool for planning caching trips, confirming the general location of a cache, or for getting an idea of the terrain you need to cross to get to one. However, be advised that GE is not always 100% accurate. Image resolution, scaling, and parallax can all reduce accuracy.

In case of conflict, trust your GPS.