First Timer - Magellan GPS

SMN703

After my Garmin GPS was stolen by my lovely teenage neighbor I finally replaced it last week with a Magellan 4250... Because that's what Costco had a great deal on.

It was during the replacement that I learned about Geocaching and now I want to do it.

However, it appears that I'm suppose to have a Garmin GPS in order to do the Geocaching?

Can someone point me in the right direction to start? I'm pretty smart and once I get started I'll figure it all out - but for some reason my brain isn't functioning to get things started.

How do I get the information on the cache onto my M. M 4250? Or is that not possible with my GPS?

I was on geocaching.com where I saw some cache's I'd love to find with my kids, but they will only upload/download to a Garmin...

Help???

(I downloaded VantagePoint, but it's blank and I can't seem to "find geocahe's online" or type in the coordinates or anything... Maybe it downloaded incorrectly or maybe it doesn't really work?)

Edited by singlemomnova

It's usually 'possible' with units that are geared toward automotive navigation, however usually not optimal.

For one thing, they like to keep the location on the nearest road.

Second, they are not (typically) safe from the elements (water, drops, debris).

I think you'd have a much more enjoyable time with even a cheap (relatively speaking) GPS off ebay (can be found for around $50).

I've tried it with my Garmin nüvi, and although it would get me close, I ended up buying a Garmin gpsmap 60CSx. Not that I'm brand loyal, just happened that way.

If you check your manual there may be a way to manually input waypoints using coordinates, which are displayed for each cache.

Best wishes, perhaps someone else with a similar unit can be of more help.

That is a vehicle unit and a poor choice for geocaching. It's not physically designed to be held in the hand, it's not waterproof or as durable as a handheld unit and the battery life isn't sufficient. Also, most automotive units don't have the compass screen which is a key feature for most geocachers.

You are better off getting an inexpensive handheld unit. Something like the Garmin Venture HC will do the job nicely. It was $129 on amazon.com last I looked. Or if you want something a bit more inexpensive, and basic, check out the Garmin eTrex H. That is usually under $100.

I'd stay away from Magellan units in general. Their units are generally fine (except for the Triton line which has well documented issues) but their customer support is abysmal. If you don't have problems with your unit, then great, but if you need to deal with them you may be in store for a nightmare.

I disagree about that last comment, sport. I love my little Magellan. I haven't had any problems at all since I got it. Like any new piece of equipment there are sure to be some bugs, initially. That being said, firmware updates and support have been fine. I dropped mine earlier on backtop, oops, and it is pretty rugged, no problems, water-proof too. The Triton 200 can be bought for just over $100. It has a color screen and a lot of great features just for geocaching. True, there is great, out of the box, support for Garmin units, but that doesn't make them better.

As for downloading .loc files to get waypoints and geocaches, get the premium membership at geocaching.com and do pocket queries, have a .gpx file e-mailed to you from the pocket query form. Save the file to your desktop. Open the Vantage Point program, it is on the disk that comes with your new GPS or you can get from http://www.magellangps.com , import the files from you query on your desktop, sync to your unit, and you are on your way. It will put all of the info about the cache on your unit.

The Triton 200 has limited memory so if you want detailed maps.... upgrade to a unit with SD. Base maps are not very detailed.

Accuracy with my Magellan is always great. I usually can connect with 9-10 satellites, here in Northern California, the greatest place on Earth. We had Garmin GPS's in the military and they sucked, but in all fairness. handhelds were pretty new then, so they all sucked.

First Timer: Most of all.......have fun and enjoy your unit, whichever you decide on. Get to know your equipment and how to get the most out of it. Detailed maps and Topo maps are a big benefit to load on your unit, but you can live without them.

Hopefully having more than 1 opinion about GPS's is helpful.

By the way, your car unit is awesome (Bluetooth, color touch screen, voice commands, kitchen sink, bag of chips.....believe me the list goes on), but if it got dropped or wet and was ruined, you'd cry. Get a handheld GPS.

i don't think the caches are geared towards the garmin line of gps. i have a magellan explorist 100 and it has worked great for me for a year or so now. i'm not sure on your gps but on mine, i mark a posit and then i edit it to the particular cache i'm looking for and then go find them. hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting!