Base Maps

With most Garmins you get a base map that comes with the unit. Is that software good and will it get you to the cache. And how much detail does the software have. I would just like to put more money into the GPS unit and get the mapping software latter. :o

Thank you, Brad

With most Garmins you get a base map that comes with the unit. Is that software good and will it get you to the cache. And how much detail does the software have. I would just like to put more money into the GPS unit and get the mapping software latter. :o

Thank you, Brad

Hi Brad.

I am not sure how detailed is the base map for US but I would suggest to buy a local topo map anyway. You can do geocaching with the base map but it is nothing close to perfect. I used it last week for a flight from Dubai to Paris and it was nice to see the flight route on the base map... BTW, I have the Colorado 300.

Hope that helps,

Filip

Delorme PN-20 comes with free software (Topo USA ver 7) detailed street and topographic maps, all exportable to the GPS unit. Also comes with $100 credit for downloading aerial view maps, also downloadable to the GPS unit. Maps & price cannot be beat (and probabnly not equalled) at present. Oh yeah, they are on sale this month for $299, the unit "rocks", too. I'm quite happy with mine.

P.S. I don't work for Delorme.

With most Garmins you get a base map that comes with the unit. Is that software good and will it get you to the cache. And how much detail does the software have. I would just like to put more money into the GPS unit and get the mapping software latter. :)

Thank you, Brad

The base map is useful only as an general indicator of where you are versus where the caches' are. They aren't really designed for routing. You don't need much else, however to go geocaching. If you're unsure about the area you'll be visiting, then download the (free) Google Earth. With that you can insert your geocache coordinates and get a sat image of the actual location. The zoom goes in to a resolution that you might see if you were on a 100 story building. You can print this out,too. Still, you'll most likely suck it up and get at least the TOPO maps. They provide information you can't get any other way.