Mexico Benchmarks?

Rumpled

Check geocaches. I think I found one there a couple years ago on a cruise also.

Are you Googling the logical survey type words in Spanish? Chances are the site is all in Spanish, huh? Hope you habla espanol. I tracked down a survey marker website in Tokyo a couple years ago, with some help from a friend. Found one by dumb luck in Yokohama.

Klemmer,

Great advice, didn't think that thru so well; duh, try their language!

So, I translated Mexico Geodetic on Google and seemed to find STEGI I think it was. Went around the site a bit, and seemed to be in the right direction; but my technical Spanish isn't as good as I thought it might be.

I'd never go hungry or be short of beer in ole Mex, but some things are harder. I'll have to get one of my buddies at work to help me.

For benchmarks of México is a little bit harder to found information but not imposible.

First to know is the names: The benchmarks are know as “vertices geodésicos” and you can find information on the INEGI. All the information is in Spanish but with a little effort you can be able to find benchmarks.

Once in the site click on “Accesos directos” and “Mapa Digital de Mexico” this link open an application where you can enable and disable layers. The layer of the benchmarks is “Geodesia” >> “Red Geodésica Nacional” The bench marks show in the map as circles squares an triangles depending of the type. Click on the “i” icon (up) for information of a benchmark. Click also in the “Red Geodésica Nacional” label. This will select the layer. After that you can click on any benchmark to get basic info. Click in the “Detalle” column to get more info. That will show you more information including position. Is important to verify the file “Monumento” if is “NO EXISTE” look for another one.

For even more information click on the button “Generar PDF” and more info will be shown in a printable pdf.

As you can see is not an easy process. There are databases but not in the Internet. The other bad point is by the moment there is no place to log the benchmarks. I think Waymarking could be but there is no one right now.

Wow: What great timing.

I just decided to check the forums for info on Mexican Tri stations, after stumbling across one in Baha California Sur. What do I find, but this nice fresh thread. Thanks canicularis. I will be reading your interesting posts. It will, no doubt, improve my pitiful Spanish.

Here's the storey.

While exploring the back country in Baja this past December, I chanced to camp next to a tri station near the mining village of El Arco, about 40 miles east of Guerro Negro. While fixing supper, I noticed a stone X on the ground about 30 meters away. Closer inspection revealed what appeared to be a sure enough triangulation station. Next time i looked at my map, there it was. Duh! All those triangles on my 3A map are there for a reason. Looks like a lot of them are on uninviting peaks. A crossover hobby, mountain climbing and benchmarking. Be a real rat and stick caches on top of all of them :)

I did not get coordinates, as my gps divested it's self of it's smoke. I will be better prepared next winter. Bet there some neat BMs around copper canyon.

Edited by t8r