Colarado lost files

I just bought a Colarado 300 in UK so I think iit is the Atlantic version

I have a GPSmap 76CSx I have used since it came out

Now when I put my geocahces in the Colarado they went in as waypoints not Geocaches

I worked on this for 2 days before solving the problem the answer I found here too. I should have looked first DOH Not from the FAQ on the Garmin page

BUT now I have it working

In the process I deleted the GPX folder from my unit I did not realize you could delete things from the rom as I could not do this by accident on the 76csx

Has any one seen the GPX folder or file in it backed up any where or point me to WHERE I can download them

OR is there any one out there can email me the GPX folder or files from a new or very newish unit so I can restore them I would prefer from a new unit but any one who has a Colarado please send me the folder

A WARNING to any one buying a New Colarado BACK UP THE UNIT via USB as you can delete the Basemap and software far to easily DO THIS BEFORE you do any thing else then if you do hit trouble you can restore it

I mailed garmin but got no responce and the folder is not available on the download from garmin

I wish I had just kept my 76csx now

Many thanks

I also can not get the poi to just view on the map I can go but not view is this normal

on the 76csx I had the choice Map or Go To or is this becuse I have lost my gpx folder???

coloradofilesresizefm0.png

There is also a hidden file.

Is the hidden file in GPX or just in H:\ the only files in folder GPX are the ones I lost I think!

I have backed up the rest and the unit is working

But I wondered what was in the folder there were about 4 files I remember seing

I thought it may be possible I had lost the pre installed waypoints

It was because I kept deleteing the waypoints and pois because I ended up with a lot of duplicates trying to get my caches on

I now have the caches working although it show my found caches as UNFOUND and I am having to go through 1 at a time marking as found IS there an EASY way

also CAN I view them on the map with out having to GO to then follow the directions line

It would jog my memmory If I could look on the map to see if I did find a cache or it is one I still need to do

ON my 76csx I can see my found caches in a list with the option to GO TO or VIEW on MAP is that lost

may be wrong thread but one more CAN I I use the sight and go a bit the 76CSx has sight marks like a gunsight to aim then mark a projected way point

I can not find how to sight and go with the Colarado I aimed at A high point then set off through trees I missed my point by quite away It seem the aim is NOT ACCURATE Is there an easy way please

The hidden file is not in GPX file.

In the GPX file there are two items:-

1-A folder containing Current.gpx and Position.gpx

2-A file Temp.gpx

The Current.gpx contains a Mapsource item with all waypoints, all tracks, all routes in it.

It can be saved as .gdb file elsewhere and worked on!

The hidden file is not in GPX file.

In the GPX file there are two items:-

1-A folder containing Current.gpx and Position.gpx

2-A file Temp.gpx

The Current.gpx contains a Mapsource item with all waypoints, all tracks, all routes in it.

It can be saved as .gdb file elsewhere and worked on!

Current and position are both created by the Colorado every time you attach to a computer. Temp.gpx is a gpx file that has been downloaded by Mapsource.

The only thing you lost in the gpx directory is a default gpx file that had Garmin's default waypoints loaded in them, no big loss!

GO$Rs

The only thing you lost in the gpx directory is a default gpx file that had Garmin's default waypoints loaded in them, no big loss!

The default file of 3 Garmin Waypoints has all my Waypoints, tracks and routes added to it!

It contains daily tracks since the day I opened the box!

So, he could have lost all his tracks, all his waypoints and routes he added since the default .gpx

Without a backup, its a disaster!

I started backing up the Colorado today.

The default file of 3 Garmin Waypoints has all my Waypoints, tracks and routes added to it!

It contains daily tracks since the day I opened the box!

So, he could have lost all his tracks, all his waypoints and routes he added since the default .gpx

Without a backup, its a disaster!

I started backing up the Colorado today.

Maybe so, but how would any of us help him restore that file (which was the request made in the original post)?

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Post #2

There isn't anything in the GPX folder that matters.

NOT TRUE

Post #6

NOT TRUE

Until IvorBigun asked the question and I tried to help we [he and I] did not know!

We could not have replaced his gpx file.

So now as a result of IvorBigun's question we know that it could be a big loss and we could lose all our tracks etc.

We must now backup our Colorado files.

What would have happened if he deleted the basemap?

Can we get a replacement?

Edited by strumble

Post #2

There isn't anything in the GPX folder that matters.

NOT TRUE

Post #6

NOT TRUE

Until IvorBigun asked the question and I tried to help we [he and I] did not know!

We could not have replaced his gpx file.

So now as a result of IvorBigun's question we know that it could be a big loss and we could lose all our tracks etc.

We must now backup our Colorado files.

What would have happened if he deleted the basemap?

Can we get a replacement?

I think I see now All I lost is the Garmin POIs for there offices

I was not sure if anything else was in the folder being a newbie

As it was the 1st day of owning it there was no tracks as such to speak of MY 76 has tracks going back 2 years and they save on mapsource

But yes I now know to back up I backed up the rest as soon as I realised what had happened

I think there should be a back up CD in the box with all the Software on it

My 76 CSX I could delete the card and My way points but the base map and garmin stuff was safe

May be Garmin should Write protect the stuff that is critical so you would know before you trashed the Colarado after all if they had made the geocache simple to load I would not have been in this mess Having to load geocahes in to a sytem file on the unit ie GPX folder rather than load them on to the card or via mapsource is asking for trouble