Geologic maps?

My friend the former geology major wants to know what kind of rock he is standing on.

I told him there are definitely none ready to go for his explorist xl but he doesn't believe me.

Is there anything available for any GPSr(he might buy a new one). I don't know anything about

making maps. Might it be possible for any GPSr?

I'd say your right. I don't believe any GPS map supplier offers a bedrock geology map for their units. Why doesn't this former Geology major get coordinates for where he's standing and plot them on mapping software on his home PC? Many states have bedrock geology maps available from online GIS resources.

With a Delorme PN-20 and their XMap GIS software package, you can get all sorts of map packages from them, and put them on the PN-20. If you can't get the map you want, you can scan your own, register (align) it in XMap, and also download it to the PN-20.

There are various "levels" (read $) of the XMap series, with various capabilities. Delorme has a great group of forums, including several on XMap. You should point your friend there, and he can ask there what would work best for him. Delorme's product line goes from consumer (basic PN-20), all the way to the very professional. My daughter is a professional in Environmental Geography / Botany, and uses a lots of their stuff.

P.S. Owners of PN-20 GPS's get substantial discounts on Delorme software packages. Talk to their very friendly & helpful customer service about that.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama