loading maps on several gps's

i own two different garmin gps units. the installation procedure for some maps asks for the unit's 10-digit serial number. is it possible to use the same map on two gps's concurrently? or do you have to (and if so, can you) uninstall on one and then reinstall on the other?

thanks for your wisdom!

The aswer could be a yes. I just did it this morning.

In November of 2006, I bought a Garmin Streetpilot i2. It came with City Select (a.k.a. City Navigator) version 7. With this older version, Navteq let two units use one license. When I received a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx this week, I was able to unlock that map and use it on my eTrex. I was on the phone with Garmin and asked if I could upgrade to the new City Navigator 2008. He said yes, but only the main unit, the Streetpilot, would be upgraded. If I want to upgrade my eTrex, I must buy a new full license of City Navigator...

--Bill

If you bought the maps seperately from the GPS unit then you are allowed 2 unlock codes, but you have to contact Garmin for the 2nd one. This works on every version up to City Navigator 2008 NT...and it may even work on that. IF your GPS came bundled with software then that software is ONLY good on that unit, no other. Unless you buy another unlock code...which is the same price as the software alone.